Eumouchere question; regarding muscle burn.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Feb 27, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    So after a while of pushing my register up i have noticed it has become easier (yay for practice). But have noticed my emouchere has changed a little (quite un-conciously) and im getting a real burn on my surrounding mouth area not quite my lips. I reckon this is my muscles. My question is how long should i hold the burn? Until i cant no more, or, just take it easy and rest intermitantly? Main reason for asking is i obviously want it to develop but not burn out or do hindering damage?

Thanks, that is all.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    From what I've gathered, resting intermittently is good (rest as much as you play). Also, Rowuk (correct me if I'm mistaken on this, Rowuk) has mentioned we gain endurance from repetition of moderate workout, rather than one large workout. Perhaps spreading your playing out, with proper rest, is the answer you're looking for. Best of luck

NotCody likes this.
  3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Interval sprinting I believe it's called. Go for some difficult challenges but don't tear your ligaments in the process. For instance if you burn your chops out while working up to the higher register you will never be able to fine tune your slotting because your chops are like frayed spark plug wires. You are literally out of synch to run properly.

If you are getting a real "burn" then maybe you are experiencing a metal allergy to the mouthpiece material. It could also mean you are using way too much mouthpiece pressure. Less muscle, work and less mouthpiece pressure always help. Overblowing to reach the high notes is a bad habit that must be broken. High notes require a faster stream of air but not one big bloated exhalation.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't like playing to the point of exhaustion. When I practice, I try to take frequent breaks, so my chops always feel good. For me, when I play to exhaustion, it just raises the probability that I'm going to be stiff the next day (or two).

Metaphorically speaking, it's like someone on a diet. Make sure you leave the table a little hungry.

Mike

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are many approaches to muscle development. Mine is that we are NOT lifting weights when playing trumpet. Smart playing means fine motor control and that is developed with thousands of LOW IMPACT exercizes. Occasional burn is not an issue but 3 out of five days may give you a six pack in the face that does everything but help you play trumpet.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Muscle burn in the surrounding area from the lips is okay in moderation. lip burning is not okay. When you feel the burn that's when you stop for several hours. 3 to 4 if possible.

As to how often to do it, read Rowuk's reply.