Eureka!...no sticky valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 4, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I recently posted a Thread complaining about the 3rd valve sticking on a couple of old horns that I have. This was after cleaning and examing casings and valves thoroughly. I got some good input from TM members, but I also contacted Ken from Ultra Pure, and followed his suggestions. I cleaned the casingings and valves, stretched the valve springs slightly, and put ONE DROP OF ULTRA PURE on each valve, and then thined it out by smearing it on each valve with my fingers. EUREKA! problem solved. I must admit that the action is stiffer than I'd like, but I think it's the least expensive fix on an old horn. As I told Ken, by the time I feel worthy of an expensive Pro. horn my fingers will be so pumped-up that it will feel like I'm pressing on air. I hope this thread benefits other TMers having the same problem.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Crow,

1 drop huh? I've 3 bottle of Ultra Pure in the cabinet. I'm 1.5 bottles of other oil from using them.

How much are you supposed to use generally?

Thanks,

Richard

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rich,

Call the old bottles of oil a wash and get going on that Ultra-Pure!

You'll wonder why you waited!

-cw-

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Richard,
    I'm finding that Ken's suggestion works for my otherwise two troubled horns. His instructions to me for my sticky valves was to put one drop and smear it over the valve with my fingers to thin the dose out. This along with stretching the springs SLIGHTLY has taken care of my problem. Keep in mind my situation deals with 2 well used horns from the 70s. I have another well used old horn that does fine with a couple of drops, and a slight turn (which I understand could be a bad thing to do). I might stop doing that and buy my next supply of UP oil in the spray bottle. I can't imagine using any more than a drop or two for any horn, but as usual with trumpet standards "there are none" (except in the science that applies to building them...I guess?)........tom

5. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    I have a brand new horn, well actually used, Bach TR200 silver. My first key is also sticking like crazy, no matter how I treat it with oil. Should I use that same method with ULTRA PURE to make it so it is freed up, or should I do something else?

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    barato, I just got back to reading this old thread. I'm not the one to tell you what to do, but if it doesn't work and you ruin your spring you can always buy another one at a good repair shop. Good-luck..........by the way, i'm not sure what I did is full proof. It's been better, but occassionally still sticks.

7. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    How to properly clean my trumpet

I am a beginner trumpet player and have found myself becoming a little confused on how and when to clean my trumpet. Some articles advocate soaking the trumpet in a tub of water, soaking the valves in vinegar, do nothing but oil the valves and grease the slides, etc.

I have a rather expensive horn (Bach Strad 37) and I certainly don't want to do something that might damages the horn. I have owned the horn for about 4 months and am pretty faithful in putting in a couple of hours of practice during the day. Then every evening before putting the trumpet away, I dismantle the horn, swab out the tubes and valve casings, oil the valves and apply a thin layer of grease to the tuning slides.

I guess my question is, am I doing everything I need to do, or is my cleaning routine overkill to the point of damaging the trumpet?

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ken was obviously responding to a particular problem, I reckon it isn't a panacea for all trumpet ills.

As to the amount of Ultra Pure, well I tend to use a little more to act as a wash for my valves - not a lot more, I'm not hosing them off, just enough to run down and lightly rinse the surface - and I have always lightly twisted my valves as I insert them - I believe it spreads and evens out the oil film and is necessary to allow the alignment keys to engage at full insertion. In the long run, oil is cheap - repairs are not.

9. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Best thing I ever did to my horn was hand-lap the valves (hope I spelled that right). After doing that I put a little bit of Alisyn synthetic on them, and they've worked beautifully.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Re: How to properly clean my trumpet

Dale, regular swabbing of the leadpipe and oilling the valves before they are put to bed is important - the rest is a little fanatical and perhaps you could extend that part of the maintenance period to fortnightly. The STUFF you are doing is great BTW, the frequency is a little OTT.