EVACUATED!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by missednote, Aug 29, 2005.

1. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    So as some of you may know, I play trumpet for the US Navy. Fortunately or unfortunately for me, I'm stationed in New Orleans. Well Saturday afternoon I got the order to evacuate due to an inbound hurricane Katrina. I ended up in Galveston TX with some friends that also evacuated here. I'm watching the news this morning and WOW!! I really hope that there is a New Orleans to go back to. Thus far there's not any reports of what has happened there. No reporters reporting live from the scene. I did hear of one parrish close to where I live with 8+ feet of water and it's still rising there. Fortunately I live in an apartment that's on the second floor. I brought all my horns with me, all of them worth anything that is. And a few changes of clothes and anything else portable like my laptop/ digital camera etc... Oh yeah and my dog too! Unfortunately I had to leave behind my CD collection and my LP collection. That's really the only thing I wish I could have brought. Just no room in the car for all that.

Just saw some pics on the news.... wow it's hard to believe that much water can just fall from the sky. I hope that anyone else from that area that's on the board here got out of town. Looks like there's a lot of flooding in the area. Hope everyone's all right.
    -missednote

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I wish I had known you were evacuating to Texas. You could have stopped here in Lafayette and stayed with us. We have plenty of room.

Drop me an e-mail if you need a place to stop on the way home.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I haven't seen any posts recently from BourbonCity (Dale) neither... I believe he's from "down that-a-way" too.

Sincerely wish all you folks well and that you do have homes to get back to when this is over with.

4. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    How are things in Lafayette BandMan? I actually spent the night there on Sat. but had to move on as I could only get the room for that one night. I was hoping that the storm would turn and I could go back to New Orleans, but no luck. Galveston was the next closest thing I could find on Sunday morning.

Saw some more stuff on the weather channel just now. They said there's a big hole in the roof of the Superdome, which just happens to have been convereted into a shelter. No news yet on the people inside. Also saw that an apartment bldg in my neck of the woods had collapsed. Also 8+ feet of water in the downtown area.

Doesn't look like we got it nearly as bad as some of the places that caught that northeast quadrant of the storm. Looks like Mobile Alabama is taking a beating right now too.
    -missednote

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Lafayette is perfect -- almost like nothing ever happened. I'm just blown away by what happened to Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I want to help but have no idea how??? :?: It is such a helpless feeling to be sitting here in a nice home, but to have such destruction an hour away.

6. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    My house in Slidell,LA had major damage. I am currently in BatRouge but at least I'm safe. God bless all those who were in harms way. Chris