Even Stranger thoughts...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Sep 29, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, I dunno what on Earth put this idea in my head, but I had it, so here it is...

Would it be worth it to customize a Holton T602? By this I mean, new leadpipe, possible valve alignment, maybe even a new finish. Seeing as I have one, and absolutely hate playing it, I am thinking that something needs to be done, either selling it or customizing it to make it better and more playable. Anybody done this before? Any advice?

2. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    I am just looking into embarking on the same idea with a Yamaha student horn. I actually like this horn, but I am convinced that after some major custom work (leadpipe, slides, braces etc.) it could be a much better player. However, I have yet to discuss this with my Brass Guru. He may, of course, throw me outa the factory and tell me to return only when I have come to my senses!!

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    :D :D :D :D

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah I kinda figured you'd say that... :)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So what is "wrong" with your Holton T602, other than the fact that it is a "student" trumpet? I purchased a T602 for my son at the beginning of last year so that he could embark upon trying to learn how to play that instrument, and I must say, for a student horn, it ain't half bad. Let me put it another way - I would have no qualms about taking this horn to a gig in the even that my Bach was out of commission.

My biggest complaint with this little horn is its upper register, not that it is bad, mind you, but just that it seems to be a little more work than my Bach.

I see no reason why if brass tech looked over that horn to insure that it was put together ok, and you put a new leadpipe on it, that you could get it to function close to that of a pro-level horn.

Not a strange question at all. :)

6. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, quite frankly, the valves haven't been that great, the upper register flat out sucks compared to my Omega, and it also seems very stuffy.

To add more conversation to this topic, what kinda leadpipe? This would definitely be a jazz/lead horn. Pilczuk or Blackburn? Any other ideas?

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Why don't you use the "1 step at a time" process? Get the valves aligned first and see if things improve. If the horn is greatly improved by that, then maybe you won't need to go to the cost of leadpipes, etc.

8. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, that's still 140 dollars or so, and I'm not totally sure that horn's worth it, thus the post here.

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Since a used 602 would only cost about $100 on eBay, putting $140 in it seems silly unless you know it is going to make a big difference. Put a PVA into it and it still has problems, you still have a $100 horn.

On the used market, there are some great horns for decent prices. It would seem that saving your shekels and buying an upgrade would make more sense. Then sell the 602 so some kid can have a good, non-Chinese, start.

Now if you liked the upper register and the valves, then it might be worth it. But you don't seem too keen on the horn.

Jim

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Why would you want to customize a horn you hate!?!?

Just wondering. IF you really loved the 602, and would play it as readily as any of your "best" horns, then I could understand why you would want to customize it. Why not customize your Omega?

For a leadpipe, definitely try the Blackburn 19 and 20. The 19 seems better suited for jazz. The 20 was my favorite, though. It darkens overall sound, improved my intonation and really seemed better suited to me (I had trouble with the 19! Its easier to play high with it, but the intonation requires a lot of work, and control was a big issue). Another (less expensive) route would be a Kanstul leadpipe?

When you get the leadpipe, try it with your Omega, 602, and even your Studio! You'll be surprised at how each horn reacts differently to a new leadpipe. You might even find your Omega will sound better than your STUDIO with just a new leadpipe (BTW, have you recieved your Studio yet?)!

Van