Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Re: Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high not

I should probably clarify that I meant that there are things that approaches are horribly suited for, and things that they are wells suited for.

Macs are horrible at certain kinds of customization and maximization of use, and PCs are horrible at other things.
    I use both. Just as I use both "overthinking" and "not thinking at all" depending on the task. Sometimes you cannot just not think because there is a physical blocker (if you've never had those, all the more power to you), but sometimes believing there is a blocker creates a blocker.

Everything about anything like music should be considered on a personal basis.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Re: Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high not

Well that and they only have one button. I guess that's ok though...just pound on the mouse and watch the pretty pitcures. BTW, do Mac users drive cars that only turn left? Oops, sorry, wrong forum.

((Just joking guys, as long as you're not hacking into my checking account, I don't care what you use!))

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona

Nope...

Mac Mice have NO BUTTONS now!
    Apple - Magic Mouse - The world

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's good practice for talking to media - I shouldn't have put those words right next to each other :-P

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown

For me playing high consists of a well-trained normal embouchure, moving lots of air, concentration, and what Bruno Walter called "impulse of will." Works in other registers as well.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN

I disagree that you need either a weird embouchure or be very lucky to have "natural high range".

Anyone in good health and average physique can be taught to play a DHC loud and well.

Notice I said taught. I think IF you have already reached a certain level of playing capability, with
    no bad habits, that a proficient instructor can teach you how to play in the "extra" top octave.

I don't think that everyone can learn on their own. I know I've tried several methods as an adult
    to improve my range and none of them did much except bore me with lots of redundant
    exercises.

However, I'm confident if I had the right teacher I could achieve more. I just don't have the time or
    money to take private lessons from a pro lead player.

I am confident that you're not to old to learn either. Just the other day I was doing some arpeggios
    in the upstairs and was able to play a G above DHC with some volume. That's not something I can do
    easily since my normal "FF" range tops out at high Eb.

My point here is to show that sometimes even a guy without a great high range like me can hit a sweet spot
    and achieve temporary success, and I think that with the proper instructor I could make that upper end repeatable.

Without professional instruction I wouldn't try to make some drastic changes in my embouchure and don't
    think its a good idea for anyone.

my 2c,

Greg

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL

I believe L357 mentioned in his post that he was not advocating using what he described, but was merely using it as a demonstration to how genetic physiological attributes can assist one play in the higher range with less struggles. He definitely wasn't trying to say that you need a specific embouchure -- just was making a point. Thought this should be reiterated after some people mentioned embouchures.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN

OK, then I'll rephrase that.

I disagree that a person needs "genetic physiological attributes" to play in the higher range with less struggles.

The ones who do it without training are rare and very lucky. That doesn't mean the rest of us cannot be trained
    to do the same.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  9. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places

Believe me, I am not trying to appear to be arrogant or in any way build myself up beyond my capabilities! But, I have always had an easy time with the upper register. In high school, back in the late 1970's, I had no problem screaming along with Cat Anderson, Bill Chase or Maynard; and all of this on a bored out Bach 5C! I didn't understand it at the time, but most folks don't have this ability. Now, does this make me a great trumpet player? NO! Not without much practice, study, practice, listening, practice, lessons, practice, talking to the other cats and practice. I quit for many years, but it was not difficult for me to work back up to a six octave range in a short time. My goal is the piano range - I hear Claude Gordon could do it!

I guess it is all an individual thing. But trumpet is much more than shameless, screaming high notes – isn’t it? Well … maybe!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010

My teacher said that he know a trumpet player who could say that he could guarantee a solid, beautiful sounding high F but nothing higher. If you wanted something higher he that he was not the man for the jog and they should hire someone else. How is that for honesty. My own teacher last week said that he can't play DHC. He, too, could only guarantee a solid, repeatable high Gs during his gigs and he has learned to accept that. He has had a wonderful career without the much lauded DHC. Our "master class" teacher hates the high note madness and only wishes to hear a beatiful note, and very few can make a DHC sound like a beautiful note rather than a squeel.

All that being said, I am happy with my SHC but I am certainly striving for more that can be played musically.

BrotherBACH.