Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Re: Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high not

What is the obsession about playing double high C and beyond ?

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Re: Ever asked yourself what it is that makes some trumpet players gifted w/ high not

I think most folks have more mental issues than physical issues. On my very best day I was able to play a very nice G above high C. I have only accomplished this on two occasions. It showed me two things. It is possible that I will have a playable range above high c. The other is that I have not figured out mentally how to make it happen on a regular basis. It is my opinion that with consistent practice I will have the range I desire. EVERY time I reach a new level in the upper register it is after several weeks of working all aspects of my playing minus actually working to get higher notes at each practice session. When I work on JUST high notes everything suffers.

I do desire to have a playable range well above high c. Not to have bragging rights but to be able to play whatever my heart desires. The most frustrating part of playing the trumpet is knowing what should come out of the horn , but being unable to make that happen. There is so much music that I want to play that is out of my reach.

Smart practice allows a person to adjust to and overcome physical limitations.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

For me I don't think it is an obsession. I view it as more of a QUEST to be as good as I can be!!! NOT just in high range, but since High range (that above High C) has eluded me and many others for most of our playing careers it is nice to be able to play at near that level. I am a comebacker for the last 3 years, and also nearly 47 -- and for the first 20+ years of my playing career - I was limited to about the high C, high D level (as my reproducable high note). On this comeback - I have wondered WHAT COULD BE NOW!!!! --- the past is history, but I have today, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year -- but I have today!!!!! So with some "hard" work on practicing -- the "playable with good sound" area is up to a high A (when the body, and life, and the mental aspect of the trumpet are all working together) --- I know there are a few more notes ---perhaps the D above the DHC --- I mean it is playable -- and who knows -- maybe some day it can be both "playable, reproducible, and ALSO SOUND GOOD. So I think the QUEST is for the TOP MOST PART of the trumpet range, that I can play, and play reasonaly well --- at some point --BUT IN THE QUEST, I CAN NOT KNOW WHAT THE TOP IS UNTIL I LOOK TOWARD ACHIEVING THAT WHICH I PREVIOUSLY COULDN'T ATTAIN --- and I guess I can't know that for sure -- until I have exhausted the High range QUEST with what I can do in a reasonable aomount of effort invested, and also WHAT MY AGING body will allow. QUEST for me, and NOT an obsession -- for me there are FAT SOUNDING LOW RANGE, and musicality, there are pedal notes, there is rhythm, and different styles --- and endless amount of fascination with the trumpet --BUT NO ONE WILL SAY -- why is that DUDE so obsessed with style, or why is he obsessed with LOW RANGE FAT SOUNDING NOTES -- they only say, why does he try the high range --- a needless obsession -----

4. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places

Gosh! Playing high notes is not about an ‘obsession’. I can do it so I do it. If someone had a wonderful tone and they worked to develop it, would that be considered and obsession? I said earlier, I have always had an easy time with it. I don’t show it off, but the range and power is always there. In high school, at state wide competitions, there was always some cat showing off his range. I usually had more but never felt like I had to prove anything.

A little story about a young buck challenging and old bull …
    A few years ago, I was asked to substitute in a college band at one of the Universities in Chicago. Apparently they had a concert for some function or another and one of their trumpet players had an emergency, so I was asked to sit in and I did. The lead player, some early 20-something kid, asked me what my range was and I told him that I was solid up to about an ‘F’. (NOTE! I never said which ‘F’!). Anyway, in front of the whole band as we were waiting to play, wants to challenge me to a ‘high note contest’. I explained I was not interested, but he was persistent. So he says he wants to start with ‘C’ and he proceeds to play an arpeggio up from the third space ‘C’ to high ‘C’. I just looked at him, sighed and shook my head, then played from a high ‘C’ to a double high ‘C’. With power. I said to him something like; “You wanted to start at ‘C’?” He laughed and told me that I ‘won’. They were a good bunch and I had fun. I play what the music requires, but I don’t like to show off.

5. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places

Hi there! I have quit playing several times, and always end up coming back to it. Currently, I am 52 and coming off of a 5 year layoff. I learned years ago, when I was a full time musician, how to breathe, and used to do lots of exercised to learn to control breath. I also have a few tricks …

One of the things I do is to take the songs from the Arbans book; you know, the ‘easy’ ones! I play them up an octave and concentrate on playing them in a beautiful, melodic style. Another trick I have is to play the highest note I can play cleanly and with power as the last thing I play each day. I can watch my range creep up at a rate of about a half step every week or two, if I am practicing just about every day. Another thing I do is to play scale exercises that take me from the low end of the horn to the high end. This gives me great facility in working the entire range of my instrument. The last trick I have is my mouth piece. A few years ago, I was talking with the Oscar Acosta, lead player for Maynard’s Big Bop Noveau, and he turned me on to this mouth piece called a ‘Bobby Shew’. I play the #1, but they come in a #1 1/2 and a #2. Now, I don’t have any extra range because of this mouthpiece, but it is a whole heck of a lot easier playing ‘up there’. I used to play on a bored out 5 C. The difference between this Bobby Shew mouthpiece and the old 5 C is about the difference between a Camaro and a Cadillac. The Caddy used to get me where I wanted to go, but the Camaro is a whole lot faster and more maneuverable. Good luck!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Wow - my tricks are similiar. Play long soft high notes --- play scales from the bottom up, and the top down ---play all scales in all the octaves I can --- take songs (ok, for now a few lines, up an octave --and for flexibility, down an octave!! AND A MPC that works for me -- Asymmetric 3C+544 works for me -- the thing is wide and very flat rim, especially on the lower lip --- I'm almost 47, so it helps with my old lips to give them support. I also do octave leaps for comparing sound, and for flexibility -----------and some tonguing up and down, thought that is harder than long soft playing --- -

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

The only Mac I used is the Big Mac. It has just the right amount of bites for my needs, and downloads quickly so I can grab my bites in between hospital rounds, but does tend to leave residue in my trumpet on my gifted attempt at hitting high notes.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

wow - I almost had a Big Mac at McDonald's yesterday, where I met Santa ClausE, but I opted for an Angus Burger instead --- however, the dump truck I drive at work is a MACK, with 478 horses, and an 18 speed extended shift with a splitter ---------and even there -- I AM KING OF THE ROAD, ROFL ROFL ROFL, that is what it takes to be a great high note guy --- you've got to have an EXTRA GEAR or two to shift your lips into ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I was kind of hoping a few cats would try the trick I described before. Not suggesting it as a way of playing (unless it works well and with speedy progress).

I think that I might be able to pull the trick off myself but am not the best of candidates for it. The couple that I've seen do the described idea didn't use it as a main technique either. It was for them a parlor trick too.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN

I tried the "trick". I could barely make a note.