ever done this ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mimic, May 9, 2009.

1. mimic

mimic Pianissimo User

May 3, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Lately I've been on YouTube finding clips of famous trumpeters. I try to find a clip of them playing something out of Arbans book so I can look at mine and follow along. It also gives me and idea of what I should sound like on the more difficult exercises.

2. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    not with arbans, but with most everything else. I don't have a tutor right now so.... Utube is free!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I guess there is no problem with orientation on what the "greats" have accomplished. I personally have had better success by studying the parts, working them up very slowly and when they make sense to me, looking for additional inspiration.
    Many of the "killer" players make the music sound like them instead of like the composer. That is fine for them, but not so fine for the uninformed. At the end of the day we need to find OUR OWN voice. It doesn't matter at what level we play. Our music can be as unique as our fingerprint. THAT is the point where we can claim to be successful.
    Go for it: MY OWN VOICE!

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If I had You Tube and the Internet and Smart Music when I was young, I would be a way better player today. Use it all. I think listening is of huge importance.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hey mimic,
    what a great idea! thanks for sharing this.