Ever feel like all you're accomplishing is helping your teacher make his car payment?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Re: Ever feel like all you're accomplishing is helping your teacher make his car paym

I teach trumpet. My car got paid for by gigging. I teach range, but also technique, sound, and that all ellusive musicality. A relaxed yet working body helps us achieve our goals.

2. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Re: Ever feel like all you're accomplishing is helping your teacher make his car paym

I used to study aikido, and came across this quote from the Montreal Aikikai's dojo rules. I thought it perfectly summarized this discussion about teachers & students here as well:

"The instructor's teaching is only a small part of your learning, merely a catalyst, and will come to nothing without your constant effort."

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U

I have seen private instructors who were just in it for the money. Okay, only one. He was never prepared, never on time, always going to get coffee, make copies, etc. He just did it to supplement his playing income. I dropped him pretty quickly and moved on. But the vast majority of instructors are dedicated and serious about helping their students improve. I have also had a teacher who was dedicated and believed that he had a lot to offer me. But his approach did not work for me. At that time I needed someone to guide me in the fundamentals of playing the horn. He was more of the natural player who probably could have helped me musically if I had been further along with the physical side of thing. He was unhappy when I went to someone who could help me with that stuff. It helps if you know what your needs are. But then again, what young person knows that? Very few, I would think.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I agree with all said but highlighted this to state... Don't leave us rowuk. You ARE one of the reasons I come to TM so often (and leave shrapnel posts behind when I don't find you). Local 357 is another reason I keep coming back... and there are more...

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

I believe the most important thing a teacher can do is to motivate their student. There are so many improvisational ways we can accomplish this, and when I teach, I actually think, how can I improve with this student to harmonize with their goals? And as teachers, we have the power to lead our students to directions WE think they should be going, to empower them with the excitement and motivation to take the path to that next level. That won't but me a new car but the feeling I have accomplished this is priceless.

If I want to buy a new car, I consult for lawyers, cause even my day gig as a primary care physician won't buy me a new car.

6. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA

...and a lot of it is finding out just HOW to motivate a student. Be it through performance, or example, or challenge, every student is different. I'm motivated by "watching" REALLY talented players perform, not just hearing audio of them. It's easier for me to visualize myself playing like that when I see it, than just listening to someone playing like that and imagining I could do the same. One of my good teachers, on the first lesson a long time ago, asked me "what do I want to accomplish" and I said I like to play classical/baroque. Next lesson, the Gisondi Bach Studies book was placed in front of me and I was assigned a lesson every week. That motivated and encouraged me more than anything else, that my lesson teacher was interested in helping me with what _I_ was interested in!

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

What I'm talking about here isn't your hard working private lessons trumpet teacher but the self promoting internet anxious scammer lurking to sell high range and other technique.

In the 1970's through '90's they put advertisements in Downbeat, Windplayer and others. Now it's the internet and trumpet forums. They keep exciting looking web pages and constantly chime in places like here and Trumpetherald. taking advantage of the free advertisement. If you look a little more carefully at their ideas you'll find these similar concepts:

1. A rehash of various pedal tone books. Like Maggio, Gordon, Callet etc.

2. The insistence that they have found all the answers and that you are so lucky to finally find them. Or they will at least imply they have all the answers.

3. if you follow their ideas you'll probably not improve much faster than if you merely applied the "Just tongue and blow" concept.

4. In order to receive their help you need to keep your credit card handy and near the phone.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012