Ever Have One Of Those Gigs....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 24, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Haha! Nice stories. I counted it up one time and estimated that I've done about 3500-4000 gigs of one kind or other over the course of my life, so I've got some doozies in there for things that have happened or that have happened wile I was there - last night was just an odd one off from a string of pretty successful gigs when looking at it from a musical performance perspective.

A couple of notes, about the gig, the reason I sucked up the moth was because this gig was outside, so it was a bit warmer, and pretty high humidity. We actually we're playing at the Penderyn Estate, former home of Mario Boiardi (sone of Chef Boyardee) and more recently owned by CEO/co-owner of Nextel, Morgan O'Brien. This place is an insanely large, 22,500 sq foot house with all the trimmings and trappings.

I've also been dealing with a fair amount of stress dealing with my best friend of 10 years, my Yellow Lab Leo. He started having seizures earlier this year and had a massive cluster of seizures last Monday, really knocking him for a loop. We thought we were going to have to pull the plug but he's mostly back to normal now.

In any case, over the years I've picked up on how stress in my life can affect my playing, and that on top of dealing with tensions thanks to Bridezilla, and I'm not really surprised that I wouldn't be tip top. I just wish it had gone better.

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    If there was ever a thread worthy of 200 replies this is it ! :D Keep um comin !

Dean_0

3. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    When I was in high school, my marching band got the gig to play a musical interlude for a production of "State Fair" at the Starlight Theater in Kansas City. (A huge outdoor theater with about 8,000 seats.)

"State Fair" was a musical owned by Ozzie and Harriet. Every few years, they revived it and toured the country doing productions starring themselves. (I think this was their semi-retirement gig.) Somewhere in the first act, there was a long scene change where they had our band march in from the back of the "house" through the audience playing the theme song to distract the audience while the stage hands re-set the scenery. (This was outdoors, so there was no curtain.) They divided us up into two platoons. One entered house right and the other house left. The two platoons marched through the house and united up on stage, finished the song, and marched off into the wings. Great fun.

Well..... The first night we did this (to a full house of 8,000 people) the two platoons got out of sync. When we met up on stage, one platoon was about 3 measures ahead of the other.

At intermission, Ozzie lined us up backstage and read us the riot act. He told us our parents had never been married and that we would never work in the theater ever again. (As high school band kids we didn't exactly plan on working in the theater, anyway. But no matter.) Harriet was mortified and fled to her dressing room.

To this day, I'm pretty sure that's the worst ass chewing I have ever received.... Ozzie Nelson backstage at the Starlight Theater in KC.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Embarrassing gig a long way back when I was a student... Got to fill in a 4 piece band of older dudes for a Masonic lodge function. Whilst many of my family were "billy-goat riders", I had no knowledge of the lodge. I was told to wear my (thrift shop) dinner jacket, a black bow-tie and I'd be fine.

After overcoming the initial problem of having left my mouthpiece at home (solved by an emergency dash by my dad), the evening progressed to where some sort of chants, accompanied by various hand movements. Panic was about to set in because the band was up on stage and I was out front. One of the band members whispered "just follow everyone else" - so I did and was telling myself how well it was going when the keyboardist shuffled over and said "copy us, not them!" - I was mirroring the audience and stuck out way worse than a clammed note in an intro. :oops:

5. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    ozzie nelson as buddy rich. what a strange concept.

a friend of mine was playing the trumpet voluntary in rockefeller chapel at the university of chicago. he was stationed in the choir loft in the BACK of the church, which is a couple of blocks long ("chapel" is misleading here) the orchestra was all the in front. the conductor, who was a band leader and not a conductor at all, was the only person on the planet not to know that if he had a band arrangement pf this piece in the key of Eb, he should probably tell the trumpter, who had played the piece 50 thousand times in the key of D (and this time was 50 thousand and 1.). the church was so large, that they couldn't hear each other, so they blithely proceeded to play the whole thing a half step apart. the only people who could hear this, unfortunately, were the people in between ie: the audience.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One that I may have shared a couple years ago happened in the fall of 1968 (I think) just before a high school football game. The story involves the first trumpet, who was of small stature - maybe 5'-6" tall or so and a drummer that stood around 6'-2". They were horsing around a little and for some reason or other, the trumpeter sat on the front fender of the drummer's car (I do not remember why the drummer's car was in the area). The drummer responded by putting the car in reverse, cranking his wheels to the right, gunning his engine, and stopping abruptly - he was not real clear on his understanding of the effects of mechanical advantage. Anyway, our first trumpet ended up sailing through the air for some distance in his marching band uniform and jacket...with his nearly new Strad held high in his left hand. He landed in some nearby mud and both he and his Strad somehow were unscathed. Trumpeter responded by extricating himself from the morass and wiping mud from his soiled jacket on drummer's fender. Drummer responded by aggressively rushing trumpeter. Impolite words were exchanged at close quarters (trumpeter, chest high to drummer, and glaring up at him, which is really funny in my mind's eye). Thankfully, it was nearly time for pre-game and the antagonists were convinced to put differences aside and get with the program.

I have no idea where the band director was during this series of events, however he did end up marrying the drummer's girlfriend...

Jim

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's a good one: Our Civil War band was playing a reenactment in Perryville, KY a few years ago. Part of the gig was to march in the parade through town to commemorate the battle. It was the normal small-town parade with fire trucks, the local National Guard detachment, police cars, local high school band, Girl Scouts, baton twirling school, etc. They put us near the front, right behind the police cars with lights flashing and sirens blaring and a couple of Army vehicles.

The parade wound through the downtown area, making a few turns along the way. We didn't know the parade route, but we were told to just follow the lead vehicles and try to keep up. Past the last turn, the road started a slight uphill into a residential area. The drummer gave a roll-off and we went into another song. Going up the hill, I noticed the vehicles ahead pulling away...we tried to keep up, but they got a few blocks away and turned off a side street. We finished the song and looked behind to see how far ahead we had gotten from the rest of the parade, and guess what? There was no parade behind us either. :lol::lol:

I suppose the parade had ended a few blocks before, and had turned a corner to go back to the staging area. The vehicles in front of us were just going back to the police station and armory. We had a good laugh as we walked back to the staging area.

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    I played a gig at a Swank private party in an NYC restaurant with celebrities in attendance. The gig itself was fantastic. Funk and soul ("I Feel Good, Mustang Sally, Soul Man, Late in the Evening," etc...). Afterward, the band tips exceeded our pretty lucrative take for the evening. While I was talking to friends outside, some idiot threw a broken chair back like a Frisbee from across the street into the crowd of people leaving the party, and I got hit in the mouth.

I am currently in the middle of a dental implant process for one tooth. The SOB fractured my gum just above my left cuspid (canine tooth). Of course, I didn't realize how serious it was until an infection developed later that week and my cuspid had to be extracted. The perpetrator was never caught.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    8 years in a church Praise band. Oh I got some stories (what's the tetrabite capacity o TM's server???) , but the names will have to be changed to protect the ignorant!!!

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my favorites is when a singer got two different songs confused. She sang the first part of the song sung by a guy and ended with the back half of another song sung by a girl band!!! This was DURING special music performance/offertory. Oh it was special all right!!! Even the non musical could tell that something "special" had just occurred! But for the musicianship of ALL the band members.... . SMH. The sad (?) part is, no one would tell her she was wrong (she didn't know)! Every time she sang the song after that, she blended the two. We were not allowed to tell her she was wrong (again SMH). We had to write a special chart for the special song. Good thing was that every time she sang it, two artist got paid!!! ROFL