Ever Noticed a Horn plays better when...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    If you talk to classical string players, they seem to accept it as a fact: well-played instruments sound better. Perhaps wood is more influenced by the vibrations it produces, compared to metal.

I suppose you could scientifically verify if there is a quantifiable effect or if it is only placebo. But, we are musicians -- not scientists -- so what harm is there in a little magical thinking? Music is a type of magic, isn't it?

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Not the way I play it.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Perhaps you should get a rabbit and a top hat - that might help if you pull the rabbit out of the hat before attempting to play music ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well, in the interest of science, I'm giving my Harrelson it's usual very thorough clean and I am about to quite literally lend it to a professional musician friend of mine - let's see how that goes .... standby for a report in a couple of weeks.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wood is affected by hundreds of years of better playing. That is what string players accept as fact.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm hoping there's no foundation to your thesis Peter. I'm scared that I'm dragging my horns backwards in their capabilities :-)

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Tj
    I did say they get better - not any worse - so we are both off the hook.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I lean towards thinking that we just pay a little more attention to how the instruments sounds upon it's return. Same horn, different ears.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This thread reminds me of a saying a colleague of my Dad had - you lend your car to a friend and you've lost a friend. Kind of the opposite to the premise of the op in this thread.
    Is that 1st slide a little stiffer now? Slight leak in the tuning slide? Were the valve caps always so hard to put back on? ...

--bumblebee

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I could loan you one with lots of high notes left. Then you would know for sure................