Ever Noticed a Horn plays better when...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Jul 27, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have heard that ultrasonic cleaning actually recharges the horn, typically good for another 50 years.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Does ultrasonic cleaning wipe a horn's memory clean?...;-)

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sounds like a question for Ivan

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    it's a symbiotic relationship between you and the horn --- quite honestly the horn is dependent on your memory!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    For a second I wondered if that was your personal observation. I've had my horns ultrasonically cleaned once (the Olds Recording was pretty bad when I bought it which prompted me to do the other two as well) and they came back oh so clean it was a joy to sight down the tubes. The fellow who did the cleaning told me he even found some stuff lurking in my two "bought-as-new" trumpets despite my neurotic (according to my wife's "they get more baths than our boy" opinion) cleaning with snakes, brushes etc.

As for the original post, I did actually loan one trumpet to a young person for a few weeks and it came back with the pinky hook and main water key floating around in the case... so it didn't play better then... (He had been keeping his music book inside the case across the trumpet and closing the lid down on it.)

--bumblebee

6. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Does that mean I now have to be ultrasonically cleaned ? Crap.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have heard that ultrasonics can destroy the playing qualities of the horn. Think about it: the bell has a certain amount of "temper" designed into it by the artisan. Some braces are forged, others are milled. In any case, if this seriously changes so does the horn. It is NOT the same as natural aging.

I have seen no scientific studies on this but tons of conjecture. A couple of years ago ultrasonics damaged new fuel injector nozzles for Volkswagen and Mercedes. They changed hardness or something and failed prematurely. That is objective evidence that should be considered. I have not seen anything published how powerful those cleaners were, if the nozzles were left in for a month or whatever. I am sure that most technicians have no data on this.

If we do what we should, when we should, we won't have to when we have to! This applies also to cleaning a horn. If you don't wait too long, there is nothing that soapy water can't remove with no unknown side effects.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Very good observations indeed. But I wonder if you meant to say: "No known side affects". I sure wouldn't know if there were any unknown things, that's why they're unknown..............

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, there are no known side effects with soapy water (except when we don't properly rinse), I was in fact referring to the big unknown - just like with ultrasonics - don't know, not willing to experiment.

10. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i used to work with a trombone player that said every player left his own "imprint" on the molecular structure of a brass instrument. i'm not claiming its true, just that i heard it said.