Ever Noticed a Horn plays better when...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Jul 27, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, he was a trombone player --- you can't believe anything those "low" lives say anyhow ------ ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    There was an ITG journal article that proposed that the crystalline structures in brass do align to fit a players sound after years and years of use.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we look at the wear pattern on the slides/valves and areas where our persperation "attacks" the horn, I can certainly agree with that!. Heck, even where the aerosols, food particles and dust collects in the horn differs according to player. There are some horns that maintain a level of play for a VERY LONG TIME (70 years in this case): my Heckel Bb rotary is one of those. There are others that really need an overhaul after 6 years of hard playing - that was the Bach 72* that I had for a VERY LONG TIME.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I´ve always thought that crystal bonding applied to salt, silicon etc.
    and metal bonding applied to metals.

Maybe it´s the other way around (I´m usually wrong so that would not surprise me . . .)? :-(

5. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i dunno. all i know is if you wanted to borrow a trombone from bruce, you were out of luck, because he didn't want you messing with his molecules.

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    hmmmm maybe but I always thought a thorough bath did the same thing ? ;-)

Dean_0

7. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i knew a different guy (a kinda famous one) who would not have his french horn cleaned because as he said, after a clean, (i presume he meant acid bath) "it may play better, but it won't play the SAME." i don't know if his horn was gross or what, but he didn't have any trouble for a long, long time. (he said this after declining a bite of his wife's sweet roll.) my wife, who is a busy freelance hornist, gets her horn cleaned once a year. she also runs mouthwash through her leadpipe when she gets a cold. my favorite trumpet, a bach 37, is probably due, and atho i've had it for almost 30 years, its still hasn't been done. i'm not exactly afraid of what might happen. i just haven't gotten around to it. i used to run warm water into the bell and let it come out the other end. (and stuff did come out.) i also daily oil the valves through the leadpipe like schilke recommended, altho sometimes i have to take the valves out and oil them too. schilke thought it prevented dirt etc. from sticking.