Ever tried Mother's polish on your horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Mar 15, 2010.

1. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    I use it to shine the chrome on my Glock barrel, so, I removed the second valve tuning slide a rubbed a bit on it. Uh OH, the matte finish is sort of shiney now.:D

Do you think I hurt it, or should I continue to use the Mother's?

:grouphug:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have never heard of this polish, but it sounds as though it is too harsh and that you have removed some of the original finish.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I've heard the product mentioned on the various forums, but I've not used it. I usually use Hagerty's. Nex time, I want to try Tarnshield. I only polish my silver horns twice a year, so the stuff lasts and lasts.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chrome polish is for chrome, and maybe for raw brass. It should NOT be used on lacquered or silverplated instruments.

I am really careful about using anything potentially toxic on my instruments. I inhale and have constant contact with the surface.

5. Jim D.

Jim D. New Friend

Mar 16, 2010
    Mothers makes a chrome polish and several metal polishes (as well as paint polishes) and they are available in auto parts and smaller hardware stores. That does not necessarily mean they can't be used on other metals such as brass.

Mothers Chrome Polish is a very mild cleaner/polish and it is the most appropriate polish for chrome.

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish is a quality metal polish that can be used on other bare metals including uncoated brass, however you might get more mirror-like results from Mothers Billet Metal Polish. Billet Metal Polish is a very fine polish with the highest quality ingredients and can create a mirror shine.

If it's silver plate, I'd use something specifically for silver plate, as the metal polishes may be too abrasive for repeated use.

Whichever polish you use on solid brass, just make sure it's uncoated. As a kid I played the coronet and it seems my coronet was clearcoated to protect the finish. A little rubbing with either the Mag & Aluminum Polish or Billet Metal Polish should result in a black residue almost immediatley upon rubbing.

Good luck!

6. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    Yep, I got the black stuff as soon as I started rubbing. when I got finished, the slide was shiney instead of dull (matte).

I'm going to take a good look at it when I get home tonight and see if it look like I hurt it.[​IMG]

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, for raw brass it works wonderfully. I just make sure to stop rubbing once the
    metal is bright. Don't use on anything but raw brass however since it is more "aggressive" than a brass polish.

Let me just add, until you know how aggressive this polish or any polish is, treat is like a finishing compound.
    If you are using it to bring a scratched up horn back to bright then fine.

However, if you are using it to remove tarnish from a horn that already has a scratch free finish under the
    tarnish then using Mothers is overkill. Stay with something mild.

Greg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Did you apply it to the part of the slide which fits inside the horn, or to the part which shows when the slide is installed on the horn?

If yes to the first part of my question, there was no matte finish. That part is usually unfinished brass or nickel. It may look matte, but should shine up when polished.

If you polished the part which shows when the slide is on the horn, then that portion is either: Raw brass - could be a matte or satin finish, Lacquered brass - could also be matte, or brushed, or clear and shiny, plated with silver or gold. Once again these can be matte or satin, although the most common is shiny (but tarnished) silver plate. Any of these except lacquer, will polish with a polish. Lacquer will probably get cloudy.

v

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have NEVER polished my mother!

10. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    It was the matte silver you see when the slide is on the trumpet. It's not quite matte anymore, but, I kinda like it!:D