Ever tried Mother's polish on your horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Mar 15, 2010.

1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Mothers is probably too aggressive for silver. I'd also suggest Hagerty's or any polish made specifically for silver like others have.

2. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    Just so happens that's who I work for, in a sales capacity.

On a raw brass horn, it works great. I have polished up some stained monel valves on a beater horn that were moving slow; but for my good horns, I'll take them to a pro, thanks.

BTW, the more Mothers you buy, the more horns I can buy.....

Keep up the good work.

And Rowuk is correct, chrome polish is for chrome plated finishes (and we make one of those, too), but "Mag & Aluminum Polish" is made for alloys like brass.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  3. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    More clarification:

1) The technical definition of a "polish" is one that replaces large scratches with small scratches. The finer the scratch pattern, the higher the shine.

2) There is no such thing as a "non-abrasive silver or metal polish". These are chemicals that will remove the oxidation and then fill in the scratches so they aren't visible. This is usually done with a silicone.

3) The only way to "remove" a scratch is to abrade away the surface down to the lowest point of the scratch. Scratches are almost always "v" shaped (wider at the top than the bottom). Consumer scratch removers smooth the rough edges inside the scratch so light is less likely to catch on it. They also "feather" (round) the top edges, which allows the light to glance off rather than reflect back at the viewer.

Our Mothers products are mechanical polishes. They are made to abrade away alloys, and leave a coating behind for protection. Mag & Aluminum Polish is more aggressive than our Billet Polish, which is made for billet aluminum but also works on any fine alloy. It also works well on SOLID gold or silver. Our polishes (other than Chrome Polish) are not made for platings - they are made for solid alloys or solid gold or silver.

Note that plating is simply that - a coating over the top of a substrate - in our case it's usually brass. You cannot technically repair a scratch in plating - once the plating is gone, it's gone. You can, though, use a chemical cleaner like some of the other polishes mentioned to remove the tarnish and fill the scratches so they aren't visible.

Off to NY for a couple of days.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    A competent metal worker can, however, burnish a deep scratch until it is not
    visible to the naked eye. This is done by forcing the metal back to a uniform
    thickness in the area of the scratch by means of rubbing it, rather forcefully, with a tool that is smooth and much harder than the material being repaired.

Most brass technicians are able to do this to some degree.

If the scratch doesn't go all the way through the plating then burnishing can work on plated surfaces as well.

Greg

5. connmaster

connmaster New Friend

Mar 14, 2010
    I guesss I'm hearing that I better not use the stuff on the rest of the horn! I'll just leave the rest of it brushed nickle.........

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    When I bought my 1913 Conn cornet last summer, it was in almost mint condition except for the valves, but the finish was tarnished to a dark grey. I thoroughly cleaned the horn and VERY lightly polished it with Wenol, a German metal polish I have used on many projects from horns to brass lanterns to even my wedding band, that quickly removes tarnish as well as gold wash if not VERY careful. Apply with fingertips and remove with a very soft cloth. Don't rub, just apply and remove. It leaves a protective coat behind. Let the image below speak for itself.

[​IMG]

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Nice cornet.....with nice engraving.

What is the mouthpiece brand and particulars?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    My mother would kill me.