Ever want to.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thanks, Ted. In French we say "casser sa pipe", i.e. "to break one's pipe"... But please don't do that : we prefer you alive even without any statue to venerate !

2. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I like those New Orleans funerals.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Having spent my early years in New Orleans, I've always wanted to play in one of those bands. But it must take a very special sort of musician to be able to play for some of those funerals. Can you imagine trying to play 'Fess's funeral and trying to keep an eye dry enough to see where you were going?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Did it just once with a white hat bunch at funeral of my USAF crew chief. Only white among all those blacks. First, I've never been keen on jazz and with a borrowed cornet my playing was a disaster. Still have the white hat someone plunked on my head, a former Navy enlisted hat, with the placard, "Bayou". I tried to slip away and got prodded by #3 in my flight, a non-player. Try to hold instrument with left thumb, and scritch scratchy music between 1st and 2nd fingers in wind (no lyre) and you might understand my dilemma. Maybe I wasn't the worst player ... I could only wish.

At graveside, it wasn't the way I play "TAPS", or how they play it at ANC, but I wish I had the music for that rendition as it really wailed (cried in remorse).

Too, I didn't ask what I was eating that night. It tasted terrific, but I had indigestion on the flight all the way home before I could get and take any Alka-Selzer.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Merci Dupac.
    (That's it, now I've run out of French words, Himmel).ROFL