EVI recommendations?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bop, Dec 30, 2016.

1. bop

bop New Friend

Dec 30, 2016
    Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing an EVI, and wondered which are best for trumpet players. I'm guessing that would be the Morrison Digital Trumpet, which sadly is no longer in production.

Would the next best choice be the Steiner EVI? (also in limited production it seems)

What about the AKAI EWI4000 and 5000? That would be my last choice since it looks more woodwindish, but maybe I could get over that.

Can anyone comment on the AKAI brand, or any others? Do you like it, or would you rather have the more trumpet-like MDT?

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a 5000 I would consider selling... it's a fantastic instrument and having owned some of the others (I have had a MDT and the old Bug Sprayer Akai Evi) the 5000 would be a great option for you.
    -T

3. bop

bop New Friend

Dec 30, 2016
    Thanks, Trent. I will definitely consider the 5000 and will PM you for details if I decide to go that route. Seems it would be the least expensive way to start out, relative to the MDT at least.

Out of curiosity, was there was there something about the MDT that you didn't like, or that made you prefer another EVI?

4. bengeguy

bengeguy New Friend

Oct 30, 2015
    I have an MDT with synth that is a lot of fun, but I could sell it. I just haven't bothered to flog it. I got it before a move, imagining that I might be able to get some gigs in the new town because my real tpt chops were gone. It would be a gas to have an all synth quintet with the MDT on bass, an EWI on trumpet, and some other synths filling out the group. Didn't work out for me and I am back to the real thing. As good as the MDT is, an EVI is still pretty good and cheaper for you.

5. Cowtowntrumpet

Cowtowntrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have owned the MDT(with Yamaha VL70) and the Akai EWI 4000 with the Patchman music patches on a Roland Sonic Cell. I preferred the Morrison Digital trumpet. I just seemed to get along with pushing buttons every half octave or so as opposed to using the rollers on the back of the Akai to go higher and lower. With that said, I did get used to the rollers after a few months and the Akai was way cheaper. Both could create some really nice sounds!

6. bop

bop New Friend

Dec 30, 2016
    Thanks for the responses, all. Bengeguy, I'll PM you this weekend about the MDT.

7. bop

bop New Friend

Dec 30, 2016
    PM sent.