Evola Review

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The Evola is a new horn model created by Erwin Schmid in Germany. If you remember, Erwin Schmid also helped Felix in creating the Stage 1 (I believe Master Schmid creates the frame/body, and Felix furnishes/modifies the horn). I will start writting my review later tonight, but I wanted to go ahead and reveal the horn that is to be reviewed.

The Evola looks very much like a Bach Stradivarius, but how does it compete soundwise? Tune in tonight for the answers.... :D

Van

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hm... and I thought "Evola" was a type of fever. :bleah:

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, crap. I have about 15 minutes before I go and eat with the guys, and I have a broadband connection, so I'll go ahead and give a quick overview of what I thought.

I was not fond of the Bach-like 3rd slide stop rod. If the two nuts are not close together, they vibrate when you play.

I also thought the valves were a bit sluggish compared to my Bach.

I liked the finger rings, they felt rounded at the ends, making the horn very comfortable to hold.

The sound has a ring to it, especially in the upper register. In fact, if I played a Forte note, I could end the note, quickly put my ear to the tune slide, and hear my note echo/ringing out of the horn!

The sound isn't too bright however. It actually has a real warm, fluffly feel to it. DO you think its due to the nickel silver bell?

I LOVE the way the horn looks. Clear lacquer mixes very well with nickel silver.

This horn (To me) would be a horn that almost demands customization.

Felix plans on offering it as his "budget pro" or even intermediate horn, which is surprising, considering it plays better than my Strad! The price is VERY attractive, though I don't know if Felix wants me to reveal the price just yet. Lets just say it reminds me of another "Strad-Slayer" horn with its price...

Toots,
    Maybe Felix could advertise the horn like this: "EVOLA, Come get the fever!" :D

Van

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Actually, I don't think advertising Evola by using the whole "ebola" stuff would be very smart. I can tell you right now I would't buy it you used that (j/k, I'm smarter then that).

Van, can you clarify what you mean by "fluffy?" You say that and I'm hearing a flugelhorn.

5. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Toots,Thank you for your comment.
    You are very nice.
    How is this for an answer to your comment? :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah:

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    HA! Glad you guys have senses of humour and took the comment the way it was meant. May the farce be with you. :D :D :D

:grouphug:

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Toots,if you are looking for a fight....
    Wrong forum :D
    :grouphug:

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Naaaa; I'm a lover, not a fighter.

9. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    :cool: