Eww neck veins

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Eww I have neck veins ... I mean, they show up when I play. At least I'll always get an "A" for Effort. I don't think they look macho, they just look dumb.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    You might be blowing just a weeeeeeeeee too hard.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I've always had a veiny neck, sad to say. The stupid things show up in all kinds of situations. Maybe I'll just change my name to Buzzcut and start talking like a Marine all the time.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I don't know your body mass. Really thin people will show more veins than someone who is heavy. If this situation isn't causing problems, then don't look for one. Usually when we look for problems, we find them.

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Hey, I am blad as a cue ball. If I strain, the top of my head gets very veiny. I will either learn to play more efficiently OR wear a hat when I play ;-)

Actually, when I focus the embrochure and use air it is not all that bad but it does take practice to learn how to do it with less effort as you climb up the scale.

DK

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As long as you are not blowing so hard that it could affect your health, then who cares? I've seen pros that turn bright red in the face, have necks that swell to almost twice their size, etc. If you ever turn pro, look at it this way -they will think you are giving it your all.

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Haha a veiny head, that's pretty bad.

Focus the embouchure, that's something I'll keep in mind. I was playing a fair amount yesterday, with good amounts of rest in between, and just before calling it a night and going to bed, I found I could go right up to the very top of my range, actually a bit further, with this little focused hole in my lips. It was cool.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... means the blood is getting to your head - because the veins are carrying it back - means you're getting oxygen to your brain - which means you are a "Thinking Musician" ..... ya gotta look for the positive side. ROFL

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Great way to look at it. Thanks.

DK