excellent trumpet professors at christian universities

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joshweckerly, Jul 9, 2015.

1. joshweckerly

joshweckerly New Friend

Jun 15, 2015
    Hello all,
    I'm new to trumpetmaster. I am a rising high school senior looking at colleges, and I have been playing trumpet almost 8 years. I have placed well in competitions, including NTC and the ITG youth competition. I would like to study music intensively in college, but I am considering going into christian ministry in some capacity, and I would like to be able to minor in biblical studies or something of that nature. Can anybody help me with the names of some Christian universities with a fantastic trumpet professor? All help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.
    Josh Weckerly

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't really have an answer to your question other than to say that you'll probably have more luck finding something along those lines in the southern US - Bible belt states.

Otherwise, you play really well - you'll do well and be an asset to whatever school you wind up going to. Oh - and welcome to the forum!

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yeah - what's the definition of "Christian"? I thought of Catholic University of America (CUA), an alma mater of mine. In the jargon of evangelicals, "Catholic" is a non-starter so - "Christian school" or "Evangelical" school? Big difference between CUA and Bob Jones. LOL

Stay up late and look for “Campmeeting” on TV. Here it's a late-night evangelical show that usually starts off with some really fun, energetic and hip (in that genre) choruses from evangelical universities, mostly in the “old south”. You could get the names of the universities (if you dig the music) and search them online.

Having an exciting choir doesn't necessarily mean a good instrumental program, but even if they don't have one, if the overall musical environment is exciting to you and you are in the instrumental minority, you might get a great chance to get in a lot of playing.

You might want to look into SMU in Dallas.

gunshowtickets likes this.
  4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Where the NTC was held this year: Messiah College, Mechanicsburg PA. Professor William Stowman is the trumpet professor.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Joshweckerly!

In my neck of the woods, Whitworth University and Gonzaga University both have fine trumpet teachers and fine theology departments.

6. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Hmmm...there are a lot of small Christian colleges around here, but Campbell University comes to mind. They have a music department. My grand daughter gives piano recitals there twice a year. Don't know about trumpet specifically, but you could inquire.

Wade

7. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

I need to pay closer attention to local happenings, the woman who answered the phone said that the competition was open to the public. If I had known, I might have tried to hear some of the performances as well as some of the rehearsals.

8. JohnjEnloe

JohnjEnloe New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Try Liberty Univ. in VA. Very nice music program there. Sounds like it could be a good fit for you. Good luck! Campbell has a small but good music program there Kent Foss is the trpt. teacher. John

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Welcome to TrumpetMaster, Josh.

My trumpet teacher got his degree from TCU, and he speaks very highly of it. Said the professor there, Jon Burgess, was tremendous.

Also, you get to root for a great football program that's on the rise, as well as a great baseball team, and have the most unique mascot in the country - welcome to Horned Frog Nation!

10. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I've heard of Cedarville University in Ohio, a Baptist school (I know a few folks who go there), and Charlie Pagnard (Senior Professor of Music, Director of Brass Choir) is the Trumpet Instructor (credit to Google).