Excess Hand Movement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I have realized quite recently when playing technical exercises such as Clarke's second study that my hand has a rocking motion that slows me down. Should I have my pinkie on top of the hook, in the hook or floating above it when practicing technical exercises? I am not sure if I am explaining my question very well but any thought?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try letting it float. The tendons on the ring and little finger are tied together, and with our hands resting on a flat surface we can tap the index and middle finger without engaging other fingers, but the little finger will come into play with the ring finger.

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Like Vulgano Brother said, I'ld let your little finger float. It will give your ring finger more freedom, which will make fast playing easier. Don't worry about your little finger sometimes moving along with your ring finger, they are after all, a pair.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This truth came flooding back to me Tuesday night at band. I was asked to play 3rd. No problemo! Hadn't played 3rd in a long time. I had forgotten how fun all those 2nd/3rd finger combos can be on 16th note runs in the staff below G!!! Let it "ride" and the movement should lessen.

5. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    It depends on what you're playing and how comfortable it is. I use all three of those "pinky positions" but in different situations. The most comfortable for me is placing it on the tip of the hook, so if you were to watch me play, that's how you'd see it 9 times out of 10. When I hold the trumpet with one hand to play, the pinky goes into the hook to hold the horn. I don't do that much anymore. When I start playing extremely fast or fast notes like 16ths and such, I notice that it begins to hover and my valve fingers move much more freely and accurately.

I'd say that when you're playing a technical exercise or anything fast, you're going to want to let it hover. However, when you're playing something slow/comfortable, I'd suggest just lightly placing it on the hook. Hope this helps.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If the fingers leave the valve caps, putting some dimes on the valve caps will force the fingers to maintain content. I used to make my students provide their own dimes, and I'd keep the ones that fell to the floor.

Money can be a great motivator.

7. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    I was going to make a wise crack...but we are a family joint. ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Since I prefer to play open without mutes I seldom insert pinky in hook. My finger hover over the valves or very lightly touch them. Before you ask, yes, I frequently utilize YSB, but it is put in before I start and stays there until I finish. I like VBs suggestion of dimes and may employ it with students ... if I get any, as currently I am without ... students that is, as I've 5 dimes in my pocket (5 nickels, and 5 pennies also, no quarters or other coins ... correction, 2 coin dollars in my watch pocket).

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011