excessive salivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by julbar1, Mar 5, 2006.

1. julbar1

julbar1 New Friend

Mar 5, 2006
    Salivation. I tend to salivate a great deal so I get a bubbling sound after I've played
    a while. Is there anything I can do about this beyond eating dirt? I need to dry my
    mouth up when I play.

julbar1

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You have two options, both of which work well:

1) get nervous, it works for me

2) swallow before you breathe and get rid of the excess

Look, obviously I'm being tongue in cheek with #1 but in all seriousness, if #2 doesn't work there IS one more thing. I had experience with cayenne pepper in pill form. Yup, no joke. For a while it was (it may still be) in vogue as a treatment for cardiac health. I tried it and had to stop because it was drying me out to the point where if i ate spicy food, i would feel the burn terribly because my taste buds were dried out and exposed more so than normal. I quit taking the cayenne. What I should have done was moderated my intake to suit my needs.

Aside from that, we can draw from the vast knowledge of the TM community but I would stay away from any drugs to dry you up unless the person that's recommending them is a bona fide MD. My guess is that there are a dozen dietary methods to change your salivary secretion rate.

Do you consume a lot of citrus fruit, by the way? That'll do it as will a lot of sugary stuff. Both with make you salivate excessively.

ML

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    (edited for Mikey's own good... a visit from Mother Superior is forthcoming and she's bringin' the steel ruler. ML)

If anything, I have the opposite problem. I tend to dry out, especially during long big band gigs. A bottle of water is always on stage....

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Sorry 'bout that...................

:oops: