Exercise book suggestions for a comeback player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dwindham, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I'm a comeback player after playing for 7 years growing up and its been 12 years since I played actively.

I need some exercises to build back up the lip strength, tongueing, etc.

Thanks.

2. ldwoods

ldwoods Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Unless you are/were a "natural", I would suggest the Balanced Embouchure, by Jeff Smiley. Do a web search and you can find his site and more info.

Other than that, every trumpet player needs to torture themselves with Arban and of course work on all that "simple" looking stuff in Clarke.

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    dwindham,

As a comeback player after 10 years of not playing... (and you are going to roll your eyes when you read this...) there is nothing better than putting everything away and just working on the Arban for several months.

Beginning all over affords us a great opportunity to correct old problems... unfortunately, it's also an opportunity to gain new ones... so

Take some time with the first studies out of the Arban... boring, but only if you are not listening. I worked on making every [simple] little note sound full and clean. Work on attacks and releases. Transpose to keep it interesting. Pay special attention to the "dunce cap" markings. Others may be able to give you more details on this, but I believe Arban is trying to encourage strong, clear attacks.

Seriously, even if you just did it for one or two weeks you will hear how it benefits your playing.

2 cents from "been there - done that" ... actually, still doing.. :-)

4. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
  5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    There are several "editions" of the Arban. That one works!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Harold Mitchell method, if followed correctly, will make you a well mannered, balanced monster by the end of book four, and makes you play in Eb minor sometimes as well. My all-time favorite, and no, I haven't completed book 4 yet. Have fun!

7. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  8. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Daily Routines - by Eddie Lewis

Hey, just wanted to chime in and tell you that I'm a comeback player myself. I started taking trumpet lessons again and found THE best teacher I've ever had in my life. I'm definiely coming back! Anyway, he has written several books, but one in particular is Daily Routines. You can purchase the book at this address: http://www.cafepress.com/tigermusic.25414872

Eddie is a really a fantastic teacher/player and his books have been highly praised by some top players. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Trax

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I will second what Larry said, the "Balanced Embouchure" book is easy to follow and produces solid results.

Greg