exercise books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 22, 2012.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    excluding arbans, what's the one book you felt helped you the most in becoming a better trumpet player. I'm not looking for a combination of books, but one book specifically. Thanks!

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    This one.

Balquhidder Music

Important is not changing your embouchure as you descend. Leave the horn on your face.

Tom

3. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    This sounds like a good thread! Just started back taking lessons two years ago, I use the Clarke's Technical Studies, and the Max Schlossberg studies. My teacher also gives me stuff out of Arbans when he thinks I need it pluss different exercizes as I needed them from Harry Glantz and other select studies to improve what ever I'm working on at the time. I like Clarks the best, the Harry Glantz stuff is very hard and not very melodic. By the way I play a Severinsen Getzen too, just started using a new Stork Studiomaster mouthpiece, and what a improvement over my old Back 7c. The Balquhidder sounds interesting.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If I had to pick one book, other than Arban, it would have to be Clarke Technical Studies.

Mike

5. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Carmine Caruso's Musical Calisthenics for Brass, with the guidance and teaching of Laurie Frink, has helped me the most in becoming a better trumpet player.

Janell

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Vissutti's set of books and Flexus work(ed) great for me.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well there is then before the comeback and there is now
    Clarke Technical Studies ( in the 70's)
    now (after 25 years no horn to my chops)
    Vizzutti Book 1

8. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Vizzutti makes your fingers feel well in every key, and combined with Flexus, it will make your lips laugh at two octave jumps and flexibility. :lol:

9. Irith

Irith New Friend

Feb 3, 2008
    Arban - Clarke - Irons (or a different flexibility book, such as Bai Lin or Colin) is the holy trinity of trumpet books, IMO. Those three have enough material for a lifetime of practice if you use a little imagination.

Beyond that, Schlossberg and various etude books are good to have. For something a little out of the box, check out the Snedocor Low Note Etudes. They're a lot more useful than you'd think.