Exercise tips - same for trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wilcox96, Sep 17, 2008.

1. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I was clicking around the headlines on AOL and came across a story about common fitness mistakes. As I read it, I thought... might the basics of these tips have relevance to our daily trumpet routines? Here's the text:

• Forgetting to warm up and cool down Warming up reduces the risk of injury, and stretching after a workout prevents soreness. Be sure to stretch right, though -- improper stretching can be just as dangerous as not stretching at all. A basic rule: Don't bounce. It will cause tears in your muscles.
    • Not cross-training You've got to mix it up, because doing the same thing over and over again results in overused and strained muscles. Get a well-rounded workout by practicing a variety of cardio and strength training activities.
    • Engaging in improper form Don't rush through your workout. Pay attention to quality, not quantity, so you don't strain your muscles. Ever blast through a set of crunches and feel all sorts of pulling on your neck? Bad form, indeed.
    Seemed comparable to me....What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Last time i checked we were using lip muscles so it makes sense to me.
    I've always believed in those sorts of things. I'm not religious about cooling down, but I do it if i felt strained. Warm-ups are definitely important for me. And proper form, well - I got braces this summer, and i started doing the alexander technique (well, the trager approach and feldenkrais method) and my tone got better ... than before braces.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    It could`nt hurt.