Exercise!

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by JackD, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I haven't done any serious exercise for about 3 years I would think, and today I went for a run (prompted by my teacher telling me to exercise - I thought if it was that obvious how unfit I am, maybe I should do some :-o ).

I was out for about 1/2 an hour - in the rain, jogging quite a long way and up some hills, and I am knackered! I used to be able to run all over the place, obviously not any more.

I also want to apply for a University Air Squadron (flying lessons again!) next year, and I need to pass a medical, so I will start doing this every day.

So which of you lot exercise, and what do you do?

2. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Hi Jack....in my youth :D I played a lot of rugby particularly when I was serving in the Royal Navy. My exercise consisted of circuit training. press ups, chin ups, etc....however in the small confines of some ships the only exercise I found to be acceptable was skipping!! A great exercise which can be done in a large kitchen or conservatory...it saves you facing the miserable rain which is now at this moment dominating the South Wales area!! :D

3. AndrewK

AndrewK New Friend

Feb 10, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    I agree, skipping is excellent exercise for the cardiovascular system. It tires me out effectively, and I am in quite good shape (in the gym 5-8 times a week) but skipping will always get the blood pumping!

4. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hi Jack,
    I want to tell you about a fitness book that has really made a difference in my life. It's called "Body for Life" and was written by an American named Bill Phillips. The BFL program calls for six workouts per week and healthful eating six days per week. The workouts are laid out as follows...

Week 1- upper body, cardio, lower body, cardio, upper body, cardio, rest
    Week 2- lower body, cardio, upper body, cardio, lower body, cardio, rest
    (repeat ad nauseum)

On the rest day you don't exercise and you can eat whatever garbage floats your boat. Pizza, ice cream, cake, burgers whatever.

I'm 5'10" and started out at 184 lbs, 23% body fat and a 36" waist. After being on BFL for 12 weeks I was at 167 lbs, 12% body fat and a 32"waist. I am also much stronger in my smaller, leaner body.

Good luck in your quest for fitness!

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    I stumbled upon something I want to recommend ... Bedroom Aerobics.

Robert Rowe

6. bigthemat

bigthemat Pianissimo User

Mar 25, 2005
    gosh i need to get to the gym. I am going on tour with my concert band, and I should get going on trying to keep up with the group, ya know.

Anyone read the body for life book? I am really wanting to start that, but it is really hard to do it whilst in college.