Exercises for the beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KindofBlue, Jan 6, 2013.

1. KindofBlue

KindofBlue New Friend

Dec 22, 2012
    I'm wondering if any of you could recommend some exercises for the beginning player?

Thanks

2. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Which books do you have?

3. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    First of all welcome to the forum... read the stickies in the different lists and find what applies.....

Second... It seems most likely that you don't have a teacher....... Get one.

Third, different people will recommend different books.... I like Arbans and the James Stamp warmup book and the 'First book of practical studies for cornet and trumpet' by Robert Getchell. I also have the Schlossberg 'Daily drills and techincal studies' and HL Clarke 'Technical studies for Cornet'....

Any of them will have the basic drills and scales for starting out. your teacher is best suited to determine which ones you need to concentrate on.

Good luck with the horn and happy reading.

OH ya .... Listen lots to good players and learn to pick out the tunes to play with them......

4. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
  5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Blue. Welcome to TM. Do you have a local music store, and I dont mean a guitar and drum store, but a real music store that has pianos, violins and TRUMPETS? If there is one within reasonable distance from home, go there and talk to them about your new musical adventure. They should know what books the local schools are using for beginners, thats a good place to start. Also spend some time there checking out their buliten board. Often instructors from the schools will do private lessons.... for beginners it may not be too expensive, in fact they may know of a music major at the nearby university that could caoch you for very little money. Developing a relationship with the music store people can be the best thing that you can do to get you started and will cost nothing. HAVE FUN!!!! Best wishes.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm tutoring 4 beginners for their second year on trumpet and use the same series of elementary books ( Essential Elements by Hal Leonard)that are used in their instrumental music at school which I augment with stuff I prepare on Finale from other resources. While Arban's is a great resource, I'm not recommending such prior to high school band or to adulthood. I was a high school sophmore with two years of high school band when I acquired my first copy (a pre-owned one) and now have another copy, having worn the first one out. Such said, it's not that it's impossible to use much earlier, just that for most its improbable and "over their head" and ability. After all, it is intended for Conservatory usage (college and beyond).

7. whyit

whyit New Friend

Aug 12, 2012
    Corona CA
    Stamps book is available on Amazon right now. But it does tend to get a bit boring, someone here is going to give me s*** for that comment. I love my rubanks book, also on amazon. But the biggest help was getting a private insructor. I so wish I would have done it in high school.Good luck, and remeber to have fun