Exercises to help reduce MP pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Asher S, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Again, I'll reiterate ... no more presssure of the mpc to the lips is necessary than that as makes an air seal. Such, allows one to play ALL the notes from the "basement" to the "attic" when the embouchure is well established to provide control of the airstream.

Yes, soft "whisper" tones IMO are the pathway to attainment. Talk about practice mutes ... if you play soft enough, you may not need them.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My wife would disagree with the last part of your statement ;-).

3. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Beautifully said- I hear you. Thanks very much to everyone. I've already begun to feel and hear some initial improvement- still much (un)work to do.

Thanks,

Asher

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Ed sez:
    Talk about practice mutes ... if you play soft enough, you may not need them.
    ---------
    Ain't that the truth! I remember a person saying "If I can hear you practicing a football field away, then you're playing too loud".
    Playing soft, as discussed in Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment, goes hand in hand with reducing mouthpiece pressure.
    Also, don't be fooled into thinking that the only way to express a musical idea in a very powerful way is with volume and high notes. There's real beauty and power when a trumpeter plays soft and gets it right. With trumpet, there's a warmth in playing soft that no other instrument has. It's almost like the human voice.
    On an average day, I can make people say "Wow!" when I play hot in the stratosphere. On a very good day, I can make people cry when I play soft.
    It's a shock to the senses verses a shock to the emotions.
    You need to know how to do both.
    So, there's more to be achieved by playing soft than just reducing mouthpiece pressure.
    A whole lot more.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Honestly, if I were now playing, my wife would also. However, she can hear a silent dog whistle two blocks away ... but not the lowest 4 notes (white keys) on a piano. She did hear my Yamaha Silent Brass on trumpet and cornet ... but as she said, the sound was reduced to where it wasn't annoying (sometimes). She didn't hear my SB on trombone or euphonium at all.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    You should switch to playing double bass ;-)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If I had the capability ... I have the ability to play tuba or Sousaphone whether they are Eb, C or BBb. Just sold my C tuba.

Now learning to play keyboard on a Yammy 66 key, while an 88 key Roland sits in the corner. Output sound of either could be to earphones. Keyboards courtesy of daughter.

8. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    You guys are FUNNY ROFL

Thanks for the laugh I needed it today.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I have had the identical on-going battle. I feel your pain.

DK