exercises while driving

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by simonstl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    I get to drive around 1400 miles next week. I am taking the trumpet, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do while driving (with passengers) to help my playing.

Some buzzing is possible, depending on the tolerance of the passengers, but I'd rather keep my hands on the wheel in traffic.

(No, I won't be playing trumpet while driving, or even as a passenger. Could make for a good music video, though.)

Are there breathing exercises that might be useful? Driving posture isn't exactly ideal trumpet posture, which kind of cramps the possibilities.

It's entirely possible I'm just being crazy - it just seems like a lot of time for not doing anything.

2. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    If I'm driving for a long time, I usually do some pencil exercises.

3. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just don't get in an accident and swallow it :lol:

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Buy 4 feet of clear vinyl hose and a funnel.

Put funnel in one end mp in the other.

While driving, watch for cops!:think:

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Buy an adapter (around the neck) to play harmonica while doing something else with hands (see folk singers, like Bob Dylan). Maybe it's possible to put a mouthpiece on it... With the hose and the funnel, the complete device !

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have used the pencil and vinyl hose in the car. I used about 6-7 feet of hose which puts the horn in C - great for playing along with the baroque trumpet concertos. With that amount of mileage, an invest in a real trumpet bell on the end of the hose would improve the intonation (I used the bell from a $30 chinese bugle)