Exercises you can do off the trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jul 14, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    What are some exercises you can do off the trumpet specifically related to trumpet playing? (Every musician should study music theory and train their ears IMHO) I'm not advocating the use of any gimmicks here. Here are some of my own ideas:
    sing... this sounds strange but it's a great exercise especially when learning an instrument that can produce only one pitch at a time (most of the time anyway)
    fingering your part
    co-ordinating valves while tonguing... this actually works! The double tonguing section of the third variation of CoV just clicked! I also tried this with chromatic scales for my single tonguing.
    Please post some of your own ideas!

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Breathing; concentration builders (ie. mental imaging games); articulation (just practice tooh/toh; t-k; tkt; ttk, etc.) while driving, walking, riding mass transit (one way to guarantee a seat on a crowded bus or subway!); "sing and fing" through scales and scale studies (sing it and do the fingerings).

3. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    I like to spend a few minutes every day with one of those finger exercisers for guitar players. Helps keep the fingers fast and strong, which for me means more accurate valve action.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Can you give an example of a finger excersizer for us non-guitar playing people?

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    The pencil exercise. Controversial but it does work for some and it worked for me. Free buzzing, lip buzzing without a mouthpiece. Again controversial but it does work for some and worked for me. Let the flames begin

6. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Learn to play the piano.... Or any other instrument for that matter.

7. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I think learning the piano is very good whatever instrument you learn. But I wouldn't advocate learning other wind instruments at the same time as learning trumpet.

8. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I think it's alright to learn other wind instruments, as long as you can focus on trumpet as your primary instrument. The only thing I would suggest is staying away from the double reeds. They can mess up your chops, plus I don't like the sound of oboes....

9. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
  10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    How can anyone argue against that which has worked for YOU? Success to you always, Jerry!

ML