expanding range without shallow cup

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 7, 2013.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Just wondering how many of you pros went the shallow cup route only to find your old reliable was just as good. What is your old reliable, if you don't mind me asking?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did do the shallow cup route (Jettone Studio B), but that did not lead to a range increase, just comfort when you are in the range you already had.

My method: Practice, practice, practice:soap: and... oh yeah, motivation:worthy:.
    :wave:

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Never had a mouthpiece add to my range, but they do allow me to player high with more comfort. I also attribute some of that comfort factor to fact that my shallow mouthpieces have a flatter rim profile. Nor are shallow mouthpieces a weak chops fix--if you're chops aren't up to the job they'll just collapse into the cup and stop vibrating all together.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Arturo S. told a group of us after a concert that he used a plain old Bach 3C, once again proving it is the player not the mouth piece.

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I find the rim style effects my range, but the cup depth only effects my volume and endurance.

6. romanater13

romanater13 New Friend

the storc v/c cups are great for comfort in my opinion

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find that Jockey makes a nice cup that provides me with total comfort.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I wish the Stork came in smaller diameters than their '10'.. but I am loving my new MF 'Calicchio' repro top from legends mpcs..

I find the Jockey cups way too small for me - hahaha!!

I guess that's why I play such a peashooter mthpc...I don't feel the need to compensate for anything. (again - TAHAHAHA!!)

9. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    it all comes down to air ... no matter what cup / rim / horn best fits you.

more focused air = higher notes.

check out this interesting video from James Morrison ... sometimes known for his range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPt1QpoD38o]04

My old reliable is a Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Using concepts from James and Claude Gordon, I practiced expanding my overall breathing, breath support and air speed + my chops set-up (set corners) and have magically 'grown' my solid range by more than just a few half steps.

Air works!!!!

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    cyber_shake, I think your explanation hit the nail on the head. James Morrison's video was also very interesting. Thanks!