expanding range without shallow cup

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 7, 2013.

1. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    my problem has not been range but rather endurance in the extreme range over a 4 hour gig. I find that a lot of that comes down to me being able to hear myself and not overblowing and over pressing. Trying to stay neutral on the mouthpiece and just use faster air but it is challenging on loud rock horn band gigs because the challenge there is to be not only higher but also louder. The Morrison video is spot on .Do it in the practice room and hopefully it subconsciously works its way into your high playing

2. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Wow, 4 hours of playing extremely high notes. I don't care what kind of mouthpiece your using, that takes a lot of endurance.

3. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    There is a reason Earth wind and Fire had two trumpeters in the section. My band leader is too cheap to hire another trumpet player though so I have to find a way to make it work. If the money wasn't worth it , id probably walk because it is taxing on your whole body not just your face. The pisser is the sax players make the same bread I do. Thats a good reason to learn sax by itself. Half the work same money.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I love the EWF charts. Fortunately those are usually in the first 6 songs of our first set usually along with Chicago.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Imagine a set full of Chicago, Earthwind and fire tower of power where the band leader has a strong disliking for space between tunes. Human Juke box. thats the gig pretty much. Don't bother complaining either, falls on death ears. On the bright side however this band supplemented my income last year with what some people make on their day jobs. They work and pay a lot. And I can sub out when I want but I always take a sizable pay cut when I do. Theres good and bad to every situation.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    My trusty Mpc is my Asymmetric 3C - this the one that works for me - I just worked at range and such fof my 5 yr comeback - although I'm not a pro - I can knock out a pretty decent high G - the A somedays -- of course I mix it up in practice between trumpet and trombone which gives my lips a bit of a break ----- but I've diligently for a few yrs at it (long tones, lip slurs, ect.) ---- the old fashioned way

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's always been my experience - I have never gained any range - the mouthpiece just made it a bit easier, gave me more brilliance and cut to the sound, and better endurance. It just makes it so that it's not quite as much work, but no real additional range.

When I was in the Latin band, I was officially the 2nd book player, but it wasn't unusual to swap parts now and again if my buddy was having an off night or was getting blown out.

I used to get peeved at the trombone player in the wedding band (I don't have a second trumpet player either) who used to think he was some kind of superman by proclaiming at the end of the gig that he had lots of chops left, and acted like he couldn't understand why I was blown out. Riiiiiight. This coming from the guy who got SWITCHED to baritone/euphonium in middle school FROM the trumpet because he didn't have the chops to hang. LOL!

It's one of the things I've always enjoyed about being a drummer. I have to have one heck of a long gig before I start to experience any chops issues, and even then, it's only some fatigue in ankle of my bass drum foot - with my hands, the longer I play, the looser, faster, and more controlled I seem to get.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Ask the tombone-head to switch horns and see who can play longest before their lip stops working.

In fact, put $100 on it. That should shut him up. Any fool can play pedal tones all day long.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Things will get easier when you get your Harreslon Summit. :-)

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah, that's kind of what I told him. Trumpet is a whole different ballgame where focus of the embouchure is concerned - it's probably about 1/10th or less of the area that a trombone player has to focus in order to produce a tone.