expanding range without shallow cup

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Dec 7, 2013.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Q: What's the difference between a t-bone player and a large Pizza?

A: The Pizza can feed a family of four.

2. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Kingtrumpet, I was wondering what other mouthpieces you might have tried before finding the asymmetric 3c was to your liking. Being a trombone player as well as a trumpet player has me very curious. There aren't to many trumpet players with your range, who play both instuments.

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Trying to play too loud in the extreme high register can really consistently waste and ruin ur chops. Right tool for the job. The MF Calicchio design is great for getting a full, very powerful sound all over the horn into the double c+ register. There r others that r pretty good. I think the MF is the best tho.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have some custom mouthpieces from Mark Curry, with his B, C and Z cups that work great for Bb, C and piccolo trumpet. I think, though, when talking about a mouthpiece as "old reliable" the best choice is one with a medium diameter and a medium cup. I have a Bob Reeves Dynamic Mass Purviance 8A that works on all my horns and all styles. Fine for first part playing Carmina Burana, but yet not "a symphonic" mouthpiece, great on lead but yet not "a lead" mouthpiece.

Bach in the day, and in some cases still today, freelance players were playing it all, on the same mouthpiece and same trumpet for everything.

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think The Boss nailed it when he was on his old Calicchio mouthpiece and 38b. The 38b is a surprisingly versatile and very powerful horn. But u have to admit it's fun 2 try all these boutique horns. Like a fancy Harrelson or something. I might get him to make me some really fancy pocket trumpet!:-)

6. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I use a Blessing 1580G for small group jazz and any classical gigs that come up. Benge 2x+ mlp for lead high note and commercial work. Love that horn. Super powerful really bright! The Blessing is like a dark Bach 72 but better quality.

7. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There r some players, usually Bill Adam cats that use old Bach 3C designs for every type of playing. Not heard any of these guys do extreme high note stuff (at least with the same embouchure). But very strong lead high G's. And right to classical, etc.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Not to change the subject, but since you mentioned the horn your playing. I started my comeback about 30 years ago. Went into my local music store with my bundy I just purchased on ebay to get some work done on it. Not knowing the owner of the store was a gifted trumpet player in his own right. He said to me, (give me $200 dollars and this piece of crap and I'll sell you this used Getzen Eterna I have in the window). Needless to say that was the best purchase I ever made.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Songbook, there are a few that play an asymmetric mpc and other brass and while I have played trombone also, I gave it up because my slide is no longer accurate or fast enough, thus in lieu thereof I play a euphonium that uses the same mouthpieces and has the same range.

It's not that I play my 342 lead asymmetric most of the time, just that I do sometime and find it works well alone but doesn't blend that well with others. For comfort I like the crowned rim of a Parduba 4.5 HJ. This said, I play mostly a Blessing 5C & Bach 6 with trumpet and an old Benge 7C with a cornet and my Schilke P5-4 picc.

10. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Getzen Eterna!! Oh man, the Doc one with the first valve trigger..sweeeeet!! I do some part time teaching at a college in my area and it is a government subsidized jazz program, so these kids usually don't have a ton of $$. I always recommend them..or buy for them online..old Getzen Capris for a couple of hundred dollars.. An old Getzen Capri is an amazing horn too.. The older ones with the first valve trigger.. Sure, the Eterna is even better.. But I would take the Capri and use it as my main horn.. I've stacked it up with horns thousands more (just recently in fact taking a student to try trumpets) and it is just a better horn than those new ones they want $1,200-$2,000 for..amazing!

It's so funny to me how many players want to buy a horn for looks… At least non-pros…. Man, I KNOW my horn is going to be getting roughed up.. I travel with it all over manhattan and the tri-state area..all different types of gigs.. C'mon..sure, I love a wild looking Harrelson trumpet..or something by Andy Taylor..(like his new compact flugel I might get).. but to buy a horn just for looks? And to disregard a GREAT horn because it is all beat up on the outside?? I think that's very strange..