Expanding throat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    hi,

When I play 'normally' my throat expands a lot, especially when I ascend to C in staff and gets worse as I get higher, I have the fix but it gives me bad tone. Though the the tone gets worse I don't find any pressure in the neck/throat anymore but now I have to get it somewhere else, where its supposed to come from..

I fixed it last year already but somehow it slipped in again and it's holding back my progress in range and tonguing and lip trills above staff (and maybe other things I'm not yet aware of)

When I play without the throat expansion it just feels weird, can't really describe it.

Also when I do breath exercises, or when I just blow (like I would in upper register) against two fingers (simulating the mouthpiece) the throat won't expand...

So idea's ? Solutions? to get my 'normal' playing back without throat expansion? or had experience with students or something,

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1211915

I found a lot of help in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=Q17qIjoZ0-k

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’m sure you’ll get a lot of good info on here jellesmiecht. Although it takes a LOT of force, the neck area can be damaged as a result of improper expansion. Proper head/neck placement while playing is important and will minimize chance of hurting yourself. The BEST thing to do is get a teacher that can watch you and help you correct any areas that need correcting. If you want to see proper head/neck placement watch you tube videos of Doc, Maynard, or your favorite player and take note of their placement. Also a good one is Luciano Pavarotti. When he sings his head is down and chin is back, and is in the proper placement to allow the throat to relax and expand properly, as is Doc, Maynard, etc.... Good luck with this.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Thanks for the comment, first I need to say that I'm like the number 1 impatient person on this planet,

I've been playing another hour now and I'm not wearing out, the throat expansion clearly set a lock on progress...
    I think it needs a few days before adjusting, I sort of like identified the problem.

The video I posted above of Charlie Porter fixed and identified the problem... so now I'm aware of it, it won't happen again.

It's like russel his problem with relaxation, (in his article about the 19/30 method)

For players who are still stuck with the throat expansion should watch the video and read the pdf about the 19/30 method (its on this forum somewhere)
    It fixed the problem for me...

Now the only thing left to do is get rid of my impatience :)

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I’ve been using the 19/30 method for over an year and can attest to it’s value when playing, sounds like you are on the right path, you just need a glass of wine with your practice : ) to settle down. Have a great day !

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

If you are talking about the typical high note expansion of the throat yes this can be eradicated. It can occur anywhere on the horn but usually (if it occurs) is while playing loud, high notes. While generally a condition most often found on glass blowers and high note trumpet artists but I've even seen it happen on bassoonists. Before I eradicated my own neck puff it even occurred on the trombone.

Just having a neck puff doesn't necessarily mean something bad. For myself? Played for quite some time with a neck puff (I have a powerful extreme upper register/no squeaks!) but eventually I damaged my throat cartilage around my Adam's Apple and had to learn to control my throat expansion.

About the best source of info on the prevention and treatment of throat expansion is here:

"The Neck Puff Evaluation Clinic" - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum From the late LeeC. he's not dead but as he expressed intelligent, focused ideas they just had to ban him over at TH lol.

Read all his posts and you will learn much. Before they get deleted.

6. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Well, it really cuts of my sound too. As I said before, my neck puff was so bad that I almost didn't need pressure from the belly. I think my throat expanded as well as outward as inward. It's like a limiter on your scooter..

I found a simple method practicing without the neck puff. I always where a blouse, and what I do is I button up the last button at my neck so if the throat is expanding there won't come any sound out of the horn... It's like getting choked... :D

It works!

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    You may be using too much tension in your overall playing. A lot of players have some neck puff when playing with no negative affects. If it is affecting your playing you might be tensing your vocal chords to squeeze out your air. This can be corrected with proper breathing.I don't know of any way to control only the muscles in the neck,but playing and breathing in a relaxed manner will eliminate tension not only in the neck, but also in your entire body, including the embouchure.So it's not a neck issue but one of poor breathing habits.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Surely you jest Don't call me Shirley - YouTube

Seriously though. Read the post about neck puff eradication. Before you get stretched or torn throat cartilage.

"an ounce of prevention..."

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Just remember it has to be stretching A LOT to cause serious injury. I asked my teacher about this, he says it's just the way the body works with pressure distribution. Inflation is natural. Unless your neck is inflating to 1.5x or more its normal size, there really isn't too much to worry about.

As for deflation...

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Stop obsessing over nothing. Why are you even paying attention to your throat? Play.

I am normally one of the last persons to say "get a teacher" but in this instance....

Tom