Expect the un-expected!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 8, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I guess I write this if for no other reason; just to say that you should always be prepared and be in your best form possible while playing.

I play in my church every Sunday morning. I am the only instrument other then the Organ and every once in a while a Flute.

As it turns out this past Sunday we all were there; well the Organ is always there so I should say that our Flute player was there also.

So we warm up and then it’s time for mass. 10:30 AM we start right on cue with our entrance hymn Jesus Is Risen nothing real difficult about this piece it’s in 4 sharps in 3/2 time mostly quarter notes with a few half notes.

Just then a huge crack of thunder and pow; the lights go out and the church goes dark. We are about 6 bars into our hymn and suddenly I find that I’m doing a solo with a Flute accompaniment.

Confused I look over at the Organist who just stands up and starts directing the choir so I kept playing, thank goodness I have a battery powered light on my stand so I could see my music no problem.

It’s funny because as I was warming up I thought to myself something that I never think, “Wow you sound good today!â€

Maybe this was God’s way of showing approval? Who knows? Just thought I’d share this very strange experience.

After a minute or so the power was restored and all went on as usual from there.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    And for a brief moment, did you think "Looks like I'm the last trumpet"?

:play:

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    At the church where I play, one Easter Vigil they turned off the lights in the choir loft when they darkened the church. My other trumpeter said " I've never seen anyone swear, play trumpet, and flick their BIC at the same time before tonight!" I also burned my hand with the lighter. ( thats what I get for swearing in church!)

:-)

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ha ha good one!

No I didn't but I knew for sure that at that moment I was the only one!

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just picturing this is priceless!

I imagine that had I not had my battery powered light on my stand I too would have cursed in Church!

Thanks for sharing that; it was good!

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    "...IIIIIIIIII'm the only one!" brrrrrrrrrr...
    (sooooooool___fa__mi_re doh)

7. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    I did a church gig once. It was at xmas time and I volenterd to do a song or two. It was fun, but here come's the interseting thing. I the middle of a song the power when out. It was pich black in there. I could not see anything. I had to stop and set down on the bench's behind me. Till me power came back own, with took like 15 min. After that I restarded the song and contunded the gig.
    You see your not a alone.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A couple of years ago while on vacation I was invited to "stand in" with the local community band.... the one that is led by a condorktor (plays stand-up bass while conducting). They were playing an evening concert beside a lake (I believe it was an equinox celebration or some such mystical ritual). As the sun fell, shadows grew, and the bats started their evening dinner flight, the band members all pulled miners' lamps out of their gig bags and put them on. I had my son stand behind me with a flashlight on the music (not having been forewarned). It was too much fun (which shortly thereafter deteriorated into a wine-and-cheese around a campfire).

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    OK,

The year is 1970, An Easter Sunday gig at my buddoes church. 2 trumpets, 2 bones and a tuba.

We played the first service and were waiting in the room behind the pulpit. One of the bone players has his newest Don Rickles album. He says "Let's listen to this quietly in here". OK

He takes the record off the turntable and puts Rickles on. About 5 minutes later the Rev. comes rushing in, very upset!.

The record player we used was for the speakers in the steeple, and Don Rickles was calling all the kind folk coming into the church Hockey Pucks! and worse!

Never did play there again...

-cw-

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ROFL