Expect the un-expected!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 8, 2006.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    In case nobody believed me: This was while it was still light enough to read the music; yours truly wondering what just fluttered past his ears.

Oh... and "Yes", they refer to themselves as a "dorkestra". :D (What else do teachers do during summer vacation?)

[​IMG]

2. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    The year is 1970? Were you playing a shofar? Did they have trumpets back then?? :D

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I had the experience of the lights going out during a wedding a few years ago.
    It had been a very bad day (my Grandfather had been rushed to hospital just as I was leaving to go and play) and when the lights went out, the organ died.
    Luckily, this was a very traditional organ and it still had the bellows (it was a proper pipe organ - none of this wholly electric stuff) pump attached - one of the choir was put on pumping duty and the organist and I continued - much to the delight of the wedding party (we got an increase in the fee due to exceptional circumstances).
    Seeing the music wasn't a problem - after all, we all know the Clarke :D

As the bridal party were leaving, the heavens opened and they decided to take the photos in the church instead of the churchyard - the organist truned to me as we approache the end of the Clarke and just said "we're playing more - give me 8 bars then we'll do the Charpentier." We then proceeded to go through a wedding medley - all your favourite wedding melodies (without music) until the photos were complete :cool:

The slightly scary part of the day was that the lights went out within a minute of my Grandfather passing away - and I knew that he had gone.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    40 cal wrote:
    Actually I was playing a Henweigh at the time. I had just sold my Getzen and it was the best available.

-cw-

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh boy can you believe this guy? Did they have trumpets back then??

Geeez! Give em authority and look what happens! :-P

Great posts gang...

I'm enjoying this.

Keep em coming.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    OK Chuck. Since I know the joke and nobody else seems to.....

"What's a henweigh"?

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    You can sure tell the young guys from us more "experienced" guys. Us old ones know what a henweighs. haha Dave

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Hey Chuck - - I bet you also drove a Rolls Canardly also. Those were the days. Dave

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know, it's interesting what can happen when it's least expected.

As many of you know, I no longer play trumpet in church - I play drums and I had an interesting experience with something going awry last weekend as well.

As I was setting my kit up Sunday morning, I noticed that my stick holder that I clamp to my hi-hat stand wasn't in my gear bag - I like to have sticks right there handy in case I drop one, although I've never really needed it because I just don't drop sticks very often, so I didn't really worry about it.

We were playing a tune called "Empty Me" and at one point in the song, I go from playing a basic groove on the ride, kick and snare to doing a groove with the toms - it's a bigger sound, a little more busy, and it's done as a musical push.

About 3-4 bars into that toms section, my right stick just tumbled out of my hand and I watched horrified as it fell to the floor! :shock: Of course the first thought that came to mind is that I didn't have another stick immediately accessible and we were in one of the biggest sections of the tune - I couldn't just stop! Fortunately, I had some extra sticks laying on the floor, so I managed to switch my left stick to my right hand, bend over to the left side and grab a stick, all while still playing, and all while not really losing the beat. What else could I have done? I covered it well enough that the Worship band leader in front of me never noticed.

I have a recording of it if anyone wants me to host it and post a link. :-) Do any of you want to hear me play drums?

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Patrick,

That's funny indeed...

The mental picture is priceless! :-)

Post you clip; if no one else is interested I'd be... :thumbsup: