Expect the un-expected!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 8, 2006.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok, the first is the clip of the tune where I dropped the stick - it happend just two measures into it, that section - not the 3-4 measures I initially said. If you listen really closely, you can actually hear the stick as it hits the floor or bounces off of the rim of the drum or something. :oops:

http://www.dance-x-treme.com/music/Empty_Me_Serv1.mp3

Here are two more that I played that morning, and there are no major errors on my part in them. :D

http://www.dance-x-treme.com/music/Holy_Is_The_Lord_Service_2.mp3

http://www.dance-x-treme.com/music/Here_Is_Our_King.mp3

As a side note, the sound is an un-EQed mix coming straight off of the board, so the sound isn't the best - we record the service every Sunday for the purpose of providing a CD ministry (the CDs cost $1) and I buy them as a means of doing a critique to find things I can work on and there are ALWAYS things to work on!

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Patrick,

Nice... :thumbsup:

Had you not mentioned it I would not have known it... The tune sounded musically fine with good backbeat.

I tried percussion many years ago. It wasn't for me!

So in some ways in envy you. I fool around with acustic guitar and of course play trumpet.

I wish I had some recordings of about 10 years ago when I was playing in a Country/Southern Rock band but sadly I do not.

I was the singer/acustic guitar player.

We had a regular gig at a bar in Michigan.

Those were interesting days....

How I wish I would have picked my trumpet back up then!!!

Good stuff!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thanks! I appreciate the compliments.

One of the things that has really become apparent to me in the last couple of years is that there is a world of difference between being a drummer and being a good drummer. And it's a lot harder than you might think - not in terms of chops, but there is a lot of responsibility that rides on the drummer. I'm responsible for and control a variety of things in the band:

Tempo/keeping steady time
    Groove/feel
    Volume and dynamics
    Kicking the band
    Setting up transition points

It's really easy to get caught up in the moment and either rush through a fill, push the tempo, play too hard or too loud, or just overplay in general. Suffice it to say, I have much more respect for my fellow drummers than I did 3 years ago before I started playing.

4. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I've had a steady church gig for the past 5 or so years. We have a massive church (a few thousand) and the band is just a bunch of pros (besides me) from around town. The basic setup is a rock rhythmn section with a funk horn line so: extended drumset, electric guitar, electric bass guitar, piano, synthesizer, electric piano, acoustic guitar, auxillary percussion, then an alto sax, tenor sax, trombone, and myself on trumpet. We have three services, the first is the white wigs (old traditional hymns, etc), the second is the adults (a little more upbeat, add drums, lol) and then the third is the college service where we are allowed to break out.

So one Sunday a few years ago we were in the third service and a pretty decent thunderstorm came along. We were playing an upbeat, screamin' chart (from the Brooklynn Tabernacle series - good stuff) with tons of solos for the saxes/guitars and a few high notes for me to have some fun (high f/g's - or "double" whatever terminology y'all use). We get to the shout chorus and BOOM a huge thunder and lightening strike and the place goes semi-dark... so immediatly all the wire eaters are out of the mix, so we have this hornline/baby grand/acoustic guitar jam thing going on and we just went with it, didn't stop or skip a beat or anything. We just traded some for a while and it was really the neatest thing that happened to me in a long time. Of course... it took like 10/15 minutes for the generator to get started up and lights to come on so it was the LONGEST song ever. Boy, talk about gettin' all your licks in! HAHAHA! Since that time, we've made it a challenege to memorize all the new songs we get.