Expensive art

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Sep 26, 2004.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello all,

I am a brand new member as of two minutes ago.

I have a severe problem. I am in my fourth year studying music in New Brunswick, CANADA and I am oh so close to being a pro player. I have some experience playing professionally, ie the Ceremonial Guard Band in Ottawa, but it just seems as though I am missing something. It doesn't really help much that my teacher is a french horn player. Even he reccomends I try and find a conservatory somwhere. I have had plans on going to Toronto to find the right teacher to help me find that missing ingredient. But four years of university really hurt the ol' cheque book.
    Who know, it could be as simple as just practicing more, but I spend at least 3 hours daily in the practice room.

Is there any advice you could give me on realizing what I am missing? This may be a weird and confusing question, but I really can't put it any ther way. Basically, I need a trumpet teacher that can help a little more than a french horn / composer could. (On a modest budget).

cheers
    Eric S. :?:

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    At some point I feel the issue isn’t so much how much time you spend but how you spend it. with out sound clips it would be hard for any one on here to tell you what you are missing in your playing.

3 hours is probably plenty of practice. I would say find the best teacher you can. Even if you only got lessons every 2 months, that would be better than none at all. There is no substitute for a highly qualified instructor.

DO what it takes, if it is important to you, you will find a way. the money you spend will be well worth it in the long run.

good luck,

jason

3. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I have never been in your shoes, so I cannot speak with authority or certainty, but it seems to me that someone in your position (about to finish university music studies) should be talking about gigs. That education you have been getting should start to pay off about now.

In the pursuit of "paying your dues", practice and study with good teachers is important, but you are ready to fly, little bird, so start looking for jobs. That might mean moving to a big, urban location, where there are clubs, bands, churches, and other income opportunities, but that is the nature of the beast.

Once you start making some portion of a living with your horn, you will find your talents and abilities grow even further. You will still be practicing and should also find it helpful to find a top teacher, but it is as a player, not student that you need to picture yourself now.

Just my opinion...worth what you paid for it! Good luck.

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    If you do come to Toronto, there are a number of professional trumpeters you could talk to. Is your interest in Jazz or Classical?

If jazz - talk to Chase Sanborn http://www.chasesanborn.com/
    If Classical
    - talk to Richard Sandals (on this site as Nonsense Eliminator) you can private message him
    - or Jeff Reynolds at U of T [email protected]
    - or Stanley Rozenweig at the Royal Conservatory [email protected]

But you are almost closer to Boston??

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    thanks

Hey guys ,

I just want to say thanks for your encouraging advice. You all seem to know what you are talking about. I actually auditioned at the Glenn Gould School under Andrew McCandless. Unfortunately, he was only taking two students and I missed out.

But I'll finish here and then move to a bigger and better place.

As for my preferred area of expertise, I really do not know. That's it!! That could be the missing ingredient I was talking about. Maybe I should decide on a style and stick with that!!! But I really cannot decide. I love to play it all.

I was thinking of looking into some cruise jobs over the summer.....does anyone know who I could talk with?

cheers
    and thanks again everyone
    Eric S.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I would suggest seeing if you could get in with Disney. They have their own cruiseline, and from my one trip to Disneyland in Florida, they REALLY like brass (Every park I went in had at least two brass groups perform EVERY day, and high school bands, including the one I was in, even got to march and play down Magic Kingdom's main street!)

You could email them (Try going to their site and looking up employment or performance opportunities...), for information on becoming a performer. The process will most likely be sending in a resume listing gigs you've played, accomplishments (Like making honors band at a summer festival or symposiums you were invited to attend), people you have studied under, and including a tape. You sound like a real solid performer, so I'm sure you could get work in the states if you ask around. Try Disney first, though.

Van

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Sorry, that was just bothering me for some reason.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You know, McGill has a pretty fair music school as well. And there sure are lots of gigging opportunities in the Montreal region to say nothing of the Orford school. The added advantage is that it's really not all THAT far from Fredricton. (I won't mention the great skiing!)

9. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I went to University of Toronto with a fellow for a short period of time who was a great player. His name is Curtis Dietz. He won't remember me (that was 15 years ago), but he is a nice guy and he's not too far from you. Maybe you could get some lessons or at least advice from him.

A bio...

A native of Hanover Ontario, Curtis Dietz began playing the cornet at the age of 7 in the town band. After switching to the trumpet in high school he won grand prizes in many Ontario Music Festivals, as well as a scholarship to study at the Banff Centre for the Arts with David Hickman and Allan Dean. Further studies took him to the University of Toronto and the Orchestral Training Program of the Royal Conservatory of Music. As a freelance musician, Curtis has performed with I Musici de Montréal, L'Orchestre Metropolitain, the Canadian Opera Company Orchestra, and the Montreal Symphony, with whom he participated in a recording for London Decca. Currently Curtis holds the position of second trumpet with Symphony Nova Scotia and lives in Dartmouth NS.

10. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

By the way, the faculty at McGill are...

Trumpet:
    Jean-Louis Chatel
    Russell DeVuyst, B.Mus.Ed.(Boston Cons.), M.Mus.(New England Cons.)
    Robert Gibson, B.S., M.F.A., Ph.D.(Minn.)
    Paul Merkelo, B.Mus.(Eastman)

Jazz Trumpet:
    Jocelyn Couture
    Kevin Dean
    Ron DiLauro
    Bill Mahar
    Joe Sullivan

And at University of Toronto:

Trumpet:
    Jeffrey Reynolds, Senior Lecturer, Assistant Divisional Coordinator
    James Spragg
    Barton Woomert

(I used to study with James Spragg and Jeff Reynolds, and my best friend at university studied with Bart; you can't go wrong here)

Jazz Trumpet:

Chase Sanborn, trumpet
    Kevin Turcotte, trumpet

I'm currently studying with Chase. He's excellent. I have no experience with Kevin as a teacher but he is at the top of pile as an improviser.