Expensive art

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Sep 26, 2004.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Holy Hell

HA! I know Curtis. Actually I just saw him tonight in a concert. I will be playing the Planets with him in Oct. WOW what a small world.

Thanks for the advice

what are the odds
    What was your name?

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Dave Malysh

We were in the U of T music program at the same time briefly (one year, I think).

Here's two more bits of advice:

Roger Ingram told me the difference between an amateur and a pro was that the pro owns the whole set of mutes. :)

Arnold Jacobs said that the difference between a good amateur and a pro was being able to have the music flooding your mind and allowing that to reproduce itself on your horn.

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    mutes

Well, the oly mute I don't own is the Bucket mute (but really.....who needs that?) :D

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    While I am remembering, Esiprl, have you pursued you desire to perform on a cruiseline any further?

Van

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    yup

Yup, cruise line work would be awesome. I just emailed Disney the other day and their college band employment program doesn't pay enough throughout the summer.

By any chance, 'Van" wouldn't be a part of your name? as in Van Slyke would it?

Cheers
    Eric

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Nay, I am just plain old "Van." :D

7. Krom

Krom New Friend

Sep 28, 2004
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Re: yup

My $0.02, for what it's worth...
    Check out Princess, I've been told by others who I've worked with over the last year that they pay the best out of any of the lines ("lifers", who've worked for most of the lines). I've been working for Princess for a bit now, found it to be pretty decent. Some shows are better than others, but the work is steady and life aboard isn't bad. Short drill every cruise (about a half hour), full drills once every other cruise (ties up an hour or so), a few restrictions on when you're allowed to use passenger facilities, and the fact that you will be sharing a room with someone you may or may not get allong well with are the only down sides, but in my experience they are fairly minor inconveniences (you usually get decent roomates, but you may have to deal with snoring, and there's no way around that). I'm having fun, staying out of Canadian winters, and have plenty of time to practice, transcribe, and see some nice places. I've met a number of students who work there over the summer months, or who take a semester off to make some money. If you are good about not eating ashore too much and don't spend too much time at the crew bar (and don't even THINK about the passenger bar, price there is out of sight) you can save most of your money over that time. Not sure if/when Princess is hiring, but it can't hurt to make some inquiries.