Experience with Reunion Blues gig bag

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Asher S, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    I have a Reunion Blues leather gig bag, but I've been hesitant to use it in favor of my SKB case. I'm concerned that the leather case renders my trumpet vulnerable to damage. Am I being irrationally paranoid? It's a beautiful bag and I'd love to use it without worrying.

Please respond only if you have extensive experience with this same gig bag.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Mine isn't leather but by the same company. I am very careful when I use it. The only way to really be protected is in a hard case.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Be careful when you use it and you'll be fine - I know a lot of guys who used RB single cases, both cordura and leather, and really, really liked them. It was usually when they didn't have far to go and weren't going to be around a lot of hustle and bustle though. I always wanted one and just never felt that the cash was justified due to my other cases and bags.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Thanks, both.

My trumpet is a beat up 1994 silver Bach Strad 43 (the leadpipe has 2 soldering patches!), but I really like how it plays, so I get a bit paranoid. I'll just use the RB bag and enjoy it. Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's really a tossup sometimes. I had a black all-leather RB triple bag and I used that quite a bit and liked it. My horn was even in it and in the hatchback of my Honda Civic one night when I was on my way to a gig and a guy pulled out in front of me. I popped the dude going 40+ mph, deploying both air bags and totalling my car. My Strad came out unscathed. (I walked away from it, and even made the 2nd and 3rd sets of the gig - I had to go because I had all of the trumpet music and my buddy just winged it for the first set!)

The only reason I stopped using it was that I got a ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case when I got my Kanstul flugel and I felt that it was a better gig case than the RB bag, which I later sold.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The bag offers considerable, but limited protection. Use it when you believe the situation will not put the horn in situations where sizeable weight or impact could affect it. You won't beat a hard case. I've got a Renunion leather but use it only when the horn won't be out of my sight.

7. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Good advice- thanks!

8. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    Just bought a triple leather bag and love it. I mainly wanted it so I didn't have to haul around a separate mute bag. Lots of room but 3 horns would be a tight fit. If I had to load my horn in a trailer and couldn't carry it myself, I would use the hardcase. If you are in HS and travel to games, the gig bag would be asking for trouble. I even encourage the kids with Protecs to carry it on the bus if they can.

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I do that. All the time.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    +1