Experience with Reunion Blues gig bag

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Asher S, Jan 4, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A gig bag means that the horn goes into the passenger compartment of a plane or bus instead of into the cargo compartment. That means you have your eyes on it more. If the horn is drop kicked in the SKB case when you aren't looking, it is vulnerable too. I take a gig bag whenever I only need one horn.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Do you put the Monette in the gig bag?

3. Trumpet En Fuego

Trumpet En Fuego Piano User

Sep 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm about to get a Durbin Single Gig bag, no mute bag with it, any good mute bags to recommend?

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I HATE, H * A * T * E my Reunion Blues triple bag(made is Asia). I ordered a Glenn Cronkhite triple today, REAL quality! The new RB are c**p!!!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I've had (and exclusively used) a RB double for the past 20 years. The zipper is broken and the leather is very worn, but otherwise it's more than met my needs. You have to be aware that it's a soft bag, so while others leave their cases out in the open during breaks, I usually put mine under a chair, piano, etc. "just in case" (I've seen many clumsy low brass players accidentally bump, kick, and otherwise bang up random cases that are left in possible traffic areas).

Fortunately my wife just bought me a Torpedo single for my birthday, so the RB bag can be put into semi-retirement and hold my back-up horn.

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I had a RB leather single for a long time. I had a Bach 72* that sustained some minor damage to the bell flare in the case, so I sold the bag to a friend (he still has it and loves it) and got a Torpedo. That was great but I was doing a lot of schlepping from school to school and the Torpedo was banging the h*&l out my shins. I now have an Altieri tpt/pic bag which I really like. It's a single with a huge pocket which will accomodate the pic bag or all of your mutes. It is really handy for gigs not requiring flugel.

7. pistonhaus

pistonhaus New Friend

Dec 14, 2010
    The RB bags are junky and don't protect worth a damn...especially the singles. I would recommend a Torpedo gig bag. Ultimate protection and the upright design is very useful. Comes with mute and music bags that attach.

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I use both a Glenn Cronkhite single horn bag (similar to the RB bag) and a more protective Gard roll bag-in different situations.

I use the Cronkhite bag on local gigs. it's nice and easy to carry- it works well when I"m going to be with my horn all the time. I also like the Cronkhite bags because there is room for both the horn and harmon mute to fit in the bag.

I use the Gard roll bag when traveling-it stows nicely in the overhead compartment on planes. There's plenty of room inside for mutes etc. w/o having to use an external mute bag, and also has room in the side pocket for my laptop.

NEVER, I repeat, NEVER EVER check your horn- I don't care what kind of protection your case provides. It's not only an issue of protecting your horn from damage, but also from not making the flight or being lost.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can't go past the original Getzen single trumpet bag for those times when it is only the horn, but I have a very similar bag, I think a Hume and Berg - Galaxy which has internal space for K&M stand (I try not to keep ANYTHING in contact with the trumpet), a Harmon, Cup, and Straight mutes in a seperate compartment (un-lidded but seperate from the horn). My mouthpieces are wrapped in microfibre inside their individual cases and placed in another seperate, lidded, compartment with my electronic tuner. Maintenance kit and other bits and bobs go in the side zippered pocket.

This bag meets carry-on dimension criteria and probably because I actually work for the airline I mostly travel with, I have never even had a query, although I occasionally have the crew stow my trumpet in the bottom of a coat closet so that another passenger could shove his heavy, nasty looking carry-on, into the hatracks (traditional name for the stowages now known as overhead bins).

Oh, for the single Getzen case - the mouthpiece goes in my pocket - never in the case.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Sometimes the rule is safety is indirectly proportional to "looking cool." I have a leather Blues Reunion. Makes you look tough and hip -but I would only use it where I can keep my eye on the horn and know stuff want be piled on top of it-or want to impress the kids (my bag may impress them, my playing wont. :) ). I use a Protec when I travel -never had a problem. If I am really concerned, then use a stardard Bach or Olds wooden case. Can't beat them.