Experienced cornet Player with new lip problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by constance, May 23, 2014.

1. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    My name is Connie, I live in Michigan and have been a member of a community concert band for 10 years now. I played cornet in my high school band and missed playing for so many years. My old band teacher started up a group 11 years ago and invited me to join. I had sold my conn cornet (made in 81) so I bought a trumpet to stay playing again. I immensely enjoy playing with our group, which had grown throughout the years. We even have a Facebook page named East China Community Band LOL. I recently went back to playing cornet because my trumpet is heavier and not as balanced as my cornet. It might be a bit of arthritis coming on for playing the trumpet makes my hands hurt horribly. My only problem is that my lip, no matter how much I practice, is not the same. I lose the upper register after about an hour of playing, which is frustrating. I thought about switching to a 1C. I play mostly 1st chair because the other players don't want to lol. This leads to many many frustrations because the other first chair (our soloist) doesn't get enough support from me. What's simply hilarious is that the soloist wants this other young man to move up to help us. WELL, our esteemed founder/one of the directors says, "absolutely not!" This young man is a very gifted musician with only two minor problems. One, he is still in high school and our esteemed director says he is a little snot (cleaned that word up LOL) and two, he is really full of himself. We are going to be performing this Tuesday as a full concert band. Pray for me people because one of the pieces is Tribute to Harry James, and I am playing the other lead part by myself. Well that is enough about me. Play on is what I always say

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Does James (Jim) Smith play in that group?

3. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    He used to but he went back to the St Clair County Community College band. I really admire Jim. He used to work with my grandfather at the Algonac post office LOL. I miss having him in our section.

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Connie,
    You stated:
    "My only problem is that I lose the upper register after about an hour of playing"
    ----
    The definition of upper register varies from person to person but when the lip gives out, it's almost always for the same reasons. There's a document that can be found on this site called The Basics Sheet which has helped a lot of people with similar complaints. You can print it out for free. If you do use the sheet, be sure to use a mirror.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and embrochures are not strengthened in one sitting. Give this a try for about a month and see if your problem begins to fade away.
    I hope it helps and good luck!
    Dr.Mark

5. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    I will thank you very much.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'm a believer in not going so large you can't play it. I was talking with Charlie Melk today about how after so many years my embouchure is still not stable and various things to do and, interestingly, holding your horn differently.

You might consider not going larger but perhaps going smaller. And, I think you will want to come to our Chicago Trumpet Hang when next it occurs (sometime April 2015). You might find a trumpet you like that doesn't weigh as much as yours... but cornet is fine too.

Tom

7. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    I am going smaller as in bore for the cornet and smaller mouth piece. I want a Getzen 381 silver cornet.

8. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    You mentioned in the other thread that you're currently playing a 3C and are thinking about going to a 1C. That's a larger mouthpiece in diameter, deeper cup, and would take more effort with the upper register and endurance. You should think about a 5C or 7C. Alternatively, think about a Curry cornet mouthpiece. The BBC series produces a nice cornet tone, yet is more efficient and comfortable to play IMO. Good luck!

9. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    I don't understand. I was always taught that if you want to get to the higher notes easier that you go from a 7c to 5c to 3c and so on. I am now throughly confused. Someone please explain. Help!

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Just the opposite in most cases.

I bet my Schilke weighs less and is better balanced than your cornet.