Experienced cornet Player with new lip problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by constance, May 23, 2014.

1. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    Your horn is lighter? I'm confused about mouth pieces goofy LOL

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Sorry, I have your posts mixed up!

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Connie,
    You stated:
    " I was always taught that if you want to get to the higher notes easier that you go from a 7c to 5c to 3c and so on."
    ---
    Sorry to hear that. You were taught incorrectly. Let me explain:
    The size of the mouthpiece has more to do with comfort. in other words, what you can do on a 7C you should be able to do on a 3C. I like comparing mouthpiece sizes to tennis shoes. What feels the best is going to give you the best results pending you are using th proper mechanics.
    As for size and range, look at any mouthpiece that's marketed as "cheater" "screamer" ect.. What do you notice? Yes!! it's a small mouthpiece.
    Now you know the person that taught you about range and mouthpiece size had it backwards and size is more about comfort and not range attainment. See aren't you glad you brought us along!! Now, let's go back to the basics. Try the Basics Sheet for a while and see if that has a positive impact on your current situation. You should know that nine times out of ten, when a person complains about range and endurance, it's NOT the mouthpiece, it's the person.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

4. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    Thank you. I was more comfortable with my 5c anyways. And I will look at that basics sheet.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, the mouthpiece has "little" to do with playing high notes. In spite of that, many players notice that their range goes down with an appreciably bigger mouthpiece. The same is true when the casual player switches to a smaller mouthpiece. The reason is not the size!

The problem is that the sound changes and our ears and brains have to get an update to know how to react to the sound. That update means developing new habits to replace the old ones. Once we are tuned in to the new situation, our range is the same as it was before.

That being said, less "stable" players use a mechanism called "pressure" to compensate for things that are not yet "comfortable". That pressure cuts the flow of air off, making us tongue harder to get the lips vibrating. That pressure also causes much higher tension in the face muscles which reduces the flow of blood, reducing the supply of oxygen to the muscles - they get tired faster.

The solution is a daily routine that increases the synchronization between breathing, buzzing and tonguing. Only when our playing gets to a higher level of integration do things get reliably better. Google my "Circle of Breath" here for more details.

I too really like playing cornet and find the medium bore sizes sound "sweeter". I have never notices a difference in range or endurance when I am familiar with the instrument.

6. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    My getzen that I ordered had a 7c with it. I'm going to try that one for awhile and see what happens. I have heard that the getzen mouth pieces are sized like the bachs, but are the getzens as good as the bachs? Are they better, worse?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While they are sized the same and the quality is the about equal, IMO the Getzen mouthpiece will mate better with a Getzen instrument than a Bach would with it.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Constance,
    think about mouthpieces like "hair color": is one blonde "better" than "another"?

Mouthpieces are an interface between the instrument and your face. The differences in faces is FAR GREATER than between instruments or mouthpieces, so you will have to tell us how you are getting on. If I have 5 identically shaped mouthpieces on the rim, cup, throat and backbore, they will play different if:
    if one mouthpiece is no longer new - micro scratches change the "feel" of the rim
    if one mouthpiece rim is gold plated - these rims generally are "smoother" feeling and give the impression that they are bigger
    if one mouthpiece goes a bit deeper into the instrument receiver the "focus" and intonation can change
    if one mouthpiece is heavier, it generally will play "stiffer" - some interpret this as "slotting" better, others as less flexible - both can be right depending on their playing. Lighter mouthpieces may "speak" more easily.

That being said, the bottom line is the state of the player - not the equipment. A strong player will "notice" the differences but not be bothered as much.

9. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    What I really want to know is if there are differences between the two mps. Is the getzen lighter heavier, does it have a deeper cup, etc.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Both mouthpieces are completely different. The rim will feel different, the weight is probably close. Knowing the specs will tell you NOTHING. How close does a mouthpiece have to be? No one can answer that because it has to do with the playing experience that you have and the level of quality that YOU offer. What is important is how the mouthpiece feels to you and how it works with YOUR instrument.

I HATE hardware discussions because there is no way to match a specification to a player.