Experienced cornet Player with new lip problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by constance, May 23, 2014.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Constance - I have a Getzen Eterna cornet that I play in a brass band (very nice playing horn) and the 7C mouth piece that came with the horn has a slightly larger dia. and is definitely deeper then my Bach 7C. Rowuk is right, no one can tell which m.p. you should use via Internet. Forget what people in the past told you, you need to find a m.p. that works for you period. Work on your basics, lip slurs and long tones and get a good teacher. Good luck and have fun.

2. constance

constance New Friend

Jan 20, 2013
    Marine City, MI
    That is all I wanted to know. Thank you all so much. At first I was confused by all the different kinds of mps but now I know that it doesn't matter if I'm an expert or beginner at identifying them. I just wanna find one that is a perfect fit for my style of playing.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually Constance, I play professionally and never bothered to look for the "perfect" mouthpiece. I am 57 years old and have switched three times - the last time in 1997 - twice on the recommendation of my teachers (from a cornet mouthpiece that came with my 1911 Holton cornet to a Bach 1C, then to a Schilke18 and finally to a Monette B2 which is very close to those last two!), the third time because of a new trumpet. I am sure that there is a more perfect mouthpiece out there for me, it's just that I need to play it for 6 months to really know - and what if it isn't after that time? I find it far more gratifying to have "good enough" and really make that work by fine tuning ME. I think that mouthpiece discussions are basically bad news because there is so little REAL DATA that applies to REAL PEOPLE and it is almost impossible to judge if you are getting good advice or not.

Play on your Getzen mouthpiece for a while and then come back and tell us what you feel. Resist the urge to compare anything for at least 6 months unless disaster sets in. Stick with one mouthpiece, get used to it first.