Experiencing a Double Buzz Help!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mallik503, May 28, 2015.

1. mallik503

mallik503 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    Hello all,
    While playing in general but mostly on lip slurs i have been experiencing a double buzz. I believe my embouchure is changing which is fine but i was looking for some ways or exercises to help with this. Maybe even the possible cause

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A common cause for the double buzz are lips that are pressed together along the horizon (i.e. north to south). Relax a bit and let the air do more of the work.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    On occasion a double buzz will creep into my playing, and it's typically caused from using too much pressure regularly. My fix for this is to sit down and do lots and lots of long tones. I'll start using the necessary amount of pressure to create the tone without the double-buzz, and then work to reduce pressure until I can do it without the tone breaking down into a double buzz.

Another fix I use is to play what would normally be a low C, regardless of the double buzz, and keeping mouthpiece pressure minimal, continue to work it until the sound focuses. I can usually get rid of the double buzz inside of a single practice session, but it needs a few more sessions to reinforce it so that it doesn't come back for a while.

Part of it is just bad habit on my part - I've always used a bit too much pressure, and when the party band is gigging a lot and I'm consistently using too much pressure, that's when the double buzz rears its ugly head. These days it happens about once every year or so - not too often, but often enough that I've learned how to deal with it.