Experimental Trumpet music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raymo, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    I am currently in a college composition course and just got inspired by experimental piano music to write trumpet music in a similar fashion. I've messed around with odd sounds before, but not in any organized way to create a song. I'd like to experiment with multi-phonics and using mutes in a unique way. I haven't really started much, but it would be neat to see what ya'll think. I'm sure someone has a recording of some sort that could relate.

2. Raymo

Raymo Pianissimo User

Mar 6, 2008
    Rittman, Ohio
    That's cool stuff there. I would like to mess around with looping and effects pedals. I'm more or less going for more acoustic stuff at the moment. Right now it doesn't seem like there is a lot I can do with a trumpet, unlike a piano where you have strings to do many things with. So far I've come up with playing with water in a couple tuning valves, the obvious half-valve stuff, using a piece of paper as a mute, and even using a clarinet mouthpiece, which was really difficult, but I got it to sound similar to a saxophone. I'm not too sure what sounds I'm looking for, but if anyone has any ideas of things to do with a trumpet, from simple to completely nuts, please share! I'm completely open to all ideas.

3. bflatmus

bflatmus New Friend

Jan 19, 2009
    Colonial Beach, VA
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown