Exploiting space in front teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gliss Girl, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    I have a space in my front teeth, which, I understand may perhaps be an asset. I can force air through the teeth at high velocity, but my upper lip generally blocks the air flow with the traditional rolled-in embouchure. I do pull the lips in a bit. My current range goes reliably to high C, sometimes D. I have been playing trumpet for almost two years, but really got serious about nine months ago, with a couple of hours practice most days.

Is there a different embouchure I should try in order to exploit the space in my front teeth? The space is not too wide - but I can tightly pass a flat toothpick all the way through it vertically. The space is straight, not upside-down "v" shaped, as I understand is optimal.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Screwing around with the chops is almost always bad. Just play the way you play, listen to your teacher (if you have one), breath, relax and practice a lot. If you're playing high C's, your embouchure is probalby fine anyway.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I would imagine Yoda saying something like: "Not lip play; not teeth play; but mind play trumpet!

Remember though, that Yoda had no idea what cute was!

Play trumpet.

4. Gliss Girl

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    Thanks, guys,

I'll stick to what I'm doing under the wise tutelage of my teachers and advisors. After reading that Wayne Bergeron and some other artists had a space that they used, I thought I should give this post a whirl. I never did have much of a use for that space - I just kid myself that it makes me beautiful a la Lauren Hutton. When I was a kid before braces and it was wider I could suck a string of spaghetti through it in the elementary lunch room cafeteria for its entertainment value - way cool for a 3rd grader. I'll let memories of that be the talent I can attribute to it. Happy practicing!:play:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My experience is that as your mouth develops - wisdom teeth descend etc - and all of your teeth will move forward a little and gradually close the gap.

The gap in my teeth - once able to accomodate a 20c coin on edge - has closed completely, well I can spit a stream of beer ..... . No, a pretty girl with an attractive mouth would not want to know about spitting beer ...... oh there I go again - I've gone too far haven't I? ROFL

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Gliss,

There is much better ways to exploit your mouth and its skills - get a boyfriend :bleah: However, it is better done after consuming few pints of beer - warning - drink it instead of spitting it ROFL.

Jokes aside, I would listen to Pedal C and Vulgano. If there is no a problem, do not create one.

7. Gliss Girl

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    My 45-year-old wisdom teeth completed their descent many years ago, but hey, I'll always be younger than Lauren Hutton. Never tried the beer stream trick, but in less dignified moments years ago, I could do a beer trick or two, more with the talent of an open throat, but I digress (actually got to use that talent on a tall-ship cruise less than a decade ago - the younger folks and men were stunned and amazed - my husband just nodded). - sorry mods, I couldn't resist.

This is a trumpet forum, so I must say "trumpet" in this post. Actually, if I learn to relax enough, that ability to open my throat may be a God-given physical talent that should help with my trumpet playing.

Have fun!

8. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    as far as the the teeth go... The gap in the front teeth can have a rather large effect on your playing. I had my front teeth knocked out 10 years ago in a weightlifting accident (don't ask) and when reconstructed, my once large front gap was virtually non-existent. I didn't even think to request that my teeth be placed back as they where, and the dentist obviously prefered the aesthetics. .

Anyway, I gained half an octave of range overnight. I literally played the next day because I had a gig and I needed the gig. I left my teeth this way ever since and it was a fortunate accident in my playing.

My father, also a lifelong trumpet player, having relatively similar dental structure to mine, had a large chip in between both his center front teeth for most of his life. When he was in his 30's, he had the dentist repair the chip, and it virtually destroyed his ability to play. He went back a week later and had the "repair" "unrepaired" and all was normal.

So basically, from experience, I know it DOES matter. Whether you could intentionally make an informed decision about whether or not it would help YOU is a crapshoot in my opinion. We all have different genetics, embouchures, and have adapted to playing in different ways.