Explosive Glissandos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Oct 5, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been studying a little Chinese music, and playing the songs on trumpet, some of the songs are quite accessible. However, there seems to be some fundamental differences between the two musical traditions, as key modulation is unique to European music and its descendants, Chinese music does not modulate keys, though it seems the reasons for this are quite different than Indian music with its micro-tonal intervals. While Chinese scales are also micro-tonal, the temperment does't seem to serve the purpose of just tuning, in fact the intervals are almost anti-just in the sense that the first octave is not perfect, though many of the fourths and fifths are perfect, it is not Pythagorean either, furthermore the musical instruments such as erhu, souna, gongs and cymbals aren't constructed for consonant harmony. Stepping back, one of the salient features of Chinese music seems to be these explosive glissandos, which I suspect is rooted in the rising and falling tones of Mandarin. These types of glissando seem quite difficult to play on the traditional valve trumpet. I wonder if anyone has solved this problem before. As far as I can tell Chinese seem quite satisfied to learn European songs on European instruments eg:

2012/7/29

I have toyed around some what unsuccessfully with the cornetto to get these fast slurs, it kind of works, I was also thinking a keyed bugle might have some success, though I think the effect would be a fast slur rather than a glissando.

2. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010