Express your feelings through music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I would love to be able to sit down and just play my instrument and play music for hours, and express myself, but i reckon trumpet isn't the instrument for that.?.?

Guitar guys can just sit and play for as long as they want without getting tired or losing their chops. I'm jealous of that.

Is it impossible to just sit and doodle all day on the trumpet and sound good and not have to stop cause your tired or lose your lips.

Ive only been learning for a couple of years, but is this even attaiable? Or should i change instrument?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    take up the bagpipes, or percussion, or even a harmonica --- I guess it all depends on how you want to express yourself -- do you want to drum on a table with sticks, or make bagpipe sounds, or kazoo your way into expressing yourself.. Truth is if "the trumpet" is the way to express yourself, then you will figure out a way -- Doc Severinsen practices 6 hours a day --- I suspect, somewhere during that time, he is able to express himself. BESIDES, if you record yourself -- you can listen to YOUR EXPRESSION OF YOURSELF as long as you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT YOU DECIDE -- that's the point!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I cant sing for sh*t, so i want the trumpet to sing for me! Get it? Be my voice.

And the above post can probably be deleted now cause i just had a bad session last night, and a bad start to tonights session, BUT, im actually starting to sizzle again.

But no... i dont want to play drums or guitar! I cant practice for 6 hours everyday (god knows i would if i could) but I have to work, to buy and pay for stuff like rent or maybe even food!

But seriously noiw i want to delete this post cause i just played thru Softly as in a mornings sunshine and it sounded good, so even tho i rest now, i feel great for playing it so well!

Im just practicing at home.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't know why you want to delete a post --- this is good stuff. I would say, "don't grill yourself over bad practices" -- they happen. don't worry about singin either ---If I could sing, then I would already be famous ROFL ROFL ROFL, but I sing very poorly. I was once where you are -- bad practices, wondering what the heck am I doint trying to play this difficult trumpet thing.. BUT the TRUMPET is what I WANT to play--- and I think you do to. YES, you don't want to play drums or guitar --- the trumpet is your expression ----so keep at it ---- you had a good day ---- but your post is NOT just about you ---- there are many people who ---HAVE FELT THIS WAY, OR WILL FEEL THIS WAY, ----------and your post will help them go on to practice and play another day -------------so nothing to be sorry about if you can help others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless I missed something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

5. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Try some different instruments. But I just happened to find trumpet to be the best fit in multiple ways. I can express myself freely. (On my 72 of course haha) And Ive been told Im a pretty good player as far as chops go. I continue to remain humble, and keep open ears as a student when it comes to music and playing advice. You should do the same, but dont be afraid to
    experiment.

HAPPY TRAILS!

6. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Cool.... I was gonna delete this post cause i thought it sounded like some face book status up-date cr#p. :)

But another thing is i ALWAYS! play with a mute, (Ja rule cup) which i like out of all mutes i tried, because it seems to stay in tune. The reason i play with a mute is purely to dampen the sound, i live in a built up city, with lots of neighbours. Ive never had any complaints, but i just like to be courteous. This use of the mute is probably hindering my longevity (for want of a better word) so i cant play for hours and hours and hours like i want to...:) :)

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sorry to hear about the mute. I live in the country where my nearest neighbor is 600 feet away. I also built my own house out of stone, and the basement walls are 3 feet thick (some people said that was overkill -- but a man has to have a castle) --- anyways, I play in the basement, and I doubt much can be heard on the outside of the house anyhow --- let alone if some sound managed to get another 600 feet!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I can't remember -- but there is also an "electronic mute" ---that will allow you to hear yourself correctly- -- someone will come on here, and tell you what it is -- so be patient -- I don't remember what it was called, but I think it is only a hundred bucks or something like that!!!

9. the newbie

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    silent mute, i already have one way too much resistance.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Well I see an indication of possible concern here. If the trumpet is something you are innately attracted to play then you would do pretty much anything it takes in order to play it well. The idea of "switching to guitar" wouldn't even cross your mind. I run into kids with these kind of issues often. They're often good students but handicapped by a lack of enough desire to play the instrument.

I never had that problem. Would play my trumpet even when acne break outs would put holes in my upper lip. Right where i placed the mouthpiece... You could say that in some ways i took matters too far. Playing high notes so loud I'd risk passing out and getting those nasty "slammer" type headaches.

BUT: even if you lack the fervent zeal usually required to master the trumpet you might consider several helpful tricks:

1. Play with a very comfortable mouthpiece. Examples:

Schilke 13a4a or Yamaha equivalent. The 12a4a and 11a4a are slightly smaller versions of these. this will give you more endurance and projection on high notes.

If you can find an Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece? Buy it at any price.

2. Study the Clarke Technical Studies" here: Technical studies for the cornet - Herbert Lincoln Clarke - Google Books Better yet find a teacher who will patiently walk you through the whole book. Practice the exercises EXACTLY as prescribed by Herbert Clarke.

3. Get at least two and preferably four or more playing commitments per week. Band class once a week doesn't cut it.

4. Most importantly: Find an idol whose trumpet playing you much admire. Suggestions:

Maynard, Dizzy Gillespie, Doc Severinsen, Don Ellis.

Having an idol whom you want to imitate will develop the zealous desire to play the instrument. Without this motivation you will be handicapped.