Express your feelings through music.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, Jan 25, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Sorry local. you must not have read my second post where i stated i do not want to play guitar or drums.

I do have an idol, Chet Baker. tho my sound is louder and way more brassy.

I guess i just want to fly right now. I'm trying to run, when in reality i cant even walk properly.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You CAN play the trumpet for hours on end. You don't need any special equipment, you need an attitude.

The problem is when you "CONQUER" the music - "MASTER" technique. What I did as a teanager was to grab a hymnbook and play the tunes an hour or two at a time. Then came a fake book with standards. No messing around with range or knocking walls down, just simple tunes played from the heart.

It IS a building process. Zero to hero doesn't exist in the trumpet world, but if you get LOTS OF TUNES into your daily routine, the urge and capability start lining up.

I have always played primarly Bach 1 1/4C, 1.5C, Schilke 18 and Monette B2/B2D mouthpieces. Fairly big, but not "extreme". If we are playing regularly, ANY equipment will do. No need for specialty stuff.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Trumpet can be a jealous mistress ... but as has been said.. find some tunes a group to play with ... you can actually pratrice very soft without a mute.... you should rest as much as you play though .. play a passage.. rest for the same amout of time .... keeping the trumpet on your face constantly for an hour is tough and actually will slow your progress.
    Hal Leonard and Jamie Abersold have play-along cds which are pretty enjoyable.
    Expression is alot more fun if you have to tools in your basket to work with .. find some Chet Baker transcriptions to play along with ... play what you can .. and empty the water key when you hit a part that's too hard to play.
    Listening to your favs will also help as was stated above..
    Welcome to the life of a trumpet player ... so many notes so little time

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Why not come see my gig Saturday night in Belmont? I hear there's no cover charge but don't quote me on it.. Just thirty minutes south of S/F. We're sort of a combination TOP cover band and with a lot of Chicago, BS&T, James Brown and other R & B. Get to see my face turn bright red from high notes.

Hey it gets attention lol. Read your private messages.

Local

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    1. Play with a very comfortable mouthpiece. Examples:

Schilke 13a4a or Yamaha equivalent. The 12a4a and 11a4a are slightly smaller versions of these. this will give you more endurance and projection on high notes.

If you can find an Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece? Buy it at any price.

OK, I'm going to have to disagree with you again. Most of the advice you gave is very good, but the mpc advice isn't good. The shallow and tight backbore mpcs. are fine for developed players who play a lot of lead and need sizzle in the sound. But for a player trying to learn how to play and develop their embouchure they are not a good choice. A standard C cup in a medium size rim. A Bach, Curry 7C, 6C, 5C, Schilke or Yamaha 11C4, 12C4, 13C4, a Stork 5C, 4C. Or mpcs with equivalent sizes are the best ones to choose for a developing player. They will get a fuller sound, better control in the "meat" registers from low G to G at the top of the staff. In my 34 years of teaching I've had young students come to me play 14A4As and they lacked substantial embouchure development. Plus I'm against the idea that the mpc should be what gives you the high notes. When you use the mpc to help you reach the high notes you are not developing the upper register with proper development. I can play just as high on my bigger mpcs as on my lead mpcs. They don't give me the notes. The lead mpc allows me to create the compression to play high with less effort and allows me to put edge on the sound quicker.

Now before you say, " I didn't say to use these mpcs to get the notes". You said they would make the high notes easier. Well what do you think a young player will take that to mean? From my experience I know what they take that to mean. That the mpc will give them the notes. I've heard them say this to many times.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I know what those who do not have well developed breathing and tonal concept sound like with 13/14A4A mouthpieces - crap. Bright, thin and little blend with the group. In the hands of a player with excellent breathing and practice habits, it can be fine for everything except brass choir, symphony and concert band. ;-)

7. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I play guitar as well, and when I first picked up the trumpet I thought Im not going to be able to sit and play just anything.Guitar was easier for me anyway. But after awhile on trumpet you can , your fingers and ears know the notes. Some great advice on here. Ive got a book of Chet Baker transcriptions and they are enjoyable to play and learn from.

8. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I play with a choice between 2 mouthpieces i have, my 11c and a 3b.

3b is louder, fuller and better in the lower notes, but i cant go higher than d much.
    11c is quieter sounding, i need to do long tones to get the notes below low c sounding good, but i can push it up to G on top easily (for a while), and play songs easier. but it kinda backs up on me in my throat at times probably due to tension (thanks to the people on here i discovered that!). But i wonder could a wider throat mouthpiece not back up as much?

I play loud, i put a lot of air in the horn, im told i have a great tone and have been asked to be in bands and told i was more than ready to be in a band by a pro horn player. But im a perfectionist with high standards so im gonna keep practicing for at least another year.

I know about the quest/journey/search some guys do for the "perfect mouthpiece".

I would love to go to a store and just go through them all at my own time etc. but realistically that is not gonna happen, the store people have more important things to do than let me search for my perfect mouthpiece, that they wont make much profit off.

eventually i will get it, but in the mean time should i keep going with the 11c, wider higher range, but less volume and fullness?

or work the 3b up to the higher ranges... which could take a while!..

I have a really big fleshy lower lip and quite a full top lip, i play off center to the right to compensate this. i would like to play in the center but my front teeth are protruded also my top lip in the center seems to have a little numb dead zone right in the middle where the muscles on each side meet. wierd?

I'm gonna keep at it, and honestly,,, because ive never had any lessons, the input from you guys is mostly invaluable.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've been a trumpet player for 30 years. I've been a drummer for about 8 and a half. When it comes to just being able to express myself, drums are where it's at, mainly because it's not structured with notes and then it becomes a matter of using the tools I have at my disposal with what I know about rhythm combined with my abilities from a chops perspective and coordination, but then it's a much more free flowing thing.

As for the idea that I can just do it for hours on end, while I do have the ability to play for much longer periods of time on drums than on trumpet, chops are still a factor and you can get tired, but for me it's a matter of mental stamina on drums. That starts to wane way before the physical chops do.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you now have the Yamaha Silent Brass mute and do not use the electronics, you'd probably do as well stuffing your bell with a T-shirt as to resistance / back pressure. If you do turn on the electronics IMO toss the ear buds that came with it in the trash and get a decent headset. Mine is a professional with a banana jack that I got an adapter for to step the banana jack down to a 3.5 mm jack. Some will say that ain't good and has the wrong impedance but it works for me.