extending range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 8, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hi
    i am a freshman in high school who cant really afford or has the time for private lessons. i want to extend my range. not only above the staff but below the staff aswell. i have three hours a day to my exposure to practice. what is the best way to go about extending my range?

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    Start with two octave scales. You might benefit from Stamp exercises. Look up James Stamp. Have you thought about a community band? You might get some free tips.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My suggestion is to get Roger Ingram's book, "Clinical Notes on Trumpet Playing". He talks about many things including extending range. It is not an excercise book, but a great reference book to apply to whatever you are attempting to do.

Pete

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    wow, your username is huge.

if you don't have money and limited time, try this:
    what's the highest note you can play? play that note over and over again. try to hold it as long as you can. try doubletongueing it as fast as possible. do slurs to that note and from that note, and back again. if you practise those things enough, you'll be able to play higher notes in no time. repeat with the next highest note you can play.
    note that this doesn't necessarily improve your sound, but just your range.

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Personally I do a long and soft warm up, driving my lower register embouchure to high notes, so I would be protected against over-pressure on my lips.
    You can see how I do (VERY BORED) at YouTube - brassonline's Channel
    BEST REGARDS !!!

6. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Without having a teacher in person to design some routines to your particular ability, generally speaking, do a good basic routine, warm up, etc, of some lip slurs, scales, and octave glisses. The glisses starting on a note you feel comfortable with, slur up, hold it 2-4 beats and back down for same. Rest as long as you played between each. Go up a half step and repeat the process. Continue up in half steps, resting between each time as long as it took you to play it till you reach your top capability that day. It is very important not to play the top note any louder than the bottome note, stay relaxed and easy, do not blast as that will defeat the purpose and actually reduce your range.

When you are done, rest 5-10 minutes, then work on some music, play etudes, play the music you are working on for concerts, all at a medium volume, nice and easy, no blasting. Rest one minute in between each tune you are working on, do 4-10 tunes at most depending on your endurance, rest another minute or two and end with one set of lip slurs through all seven finger positions for flexibility.

Try to be consistent and do this every day.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are plenty of players in the same boat, but I have yet to really hear a success story. All of this stuff has been covered hundreds of times here and is easy to find.

3 hours to practice is a lot of time. Probably enough for most to waste their faces.

Suggestion: "search on circle of breath". Breathing is the beginning of anything sensible and as easy as it should be, most players without lessons are WAY off track. The second search should be on daily routine.

You will notice that I have not mentioned range. The reason is that only a well rounded development will give you the brains to use range intelligently once you have earned it. There are plenty of idiots with high notes and no chance of applying them musically. They just generate noise. When I am conducting band, I openly tell them to stop. They should concentrate on the parts that need to be played.

That being said, there is no short cut. clean upper and lower range are based on CONTROL and HABITS built over time.

Good luck. DIY can be pretty frustrating.